Quarter Extenion Gaskets

70 Iron

I've been wondering this myself, as the gaskets have a tendency to stick and/or tear when removing the quarter extensions.

Those who have done bodywork in this area - what did you do? Can new ones be made?

Is this a 1970 only item because I don't think I have anything like that on my 71. There is a piece of rubber under the taillight lenses like a small bumper filler but that's not what your talking about, is it.

Bruce

No Bruce this sandwiches between the ext and the quarter,I think all 3 yrs have them.

Thanks tony , if I can't find the original ones that will work I'm sure.

Terry

Those side pcs are for 70 only and I have them .

You can't see the gaskets that I'm talking about unless you remove the tail light extension from the quarter.\

You're a library of pics Bruce :-).

TERRY

All I have is dum dum on the studs. Gee, that sounds a bit strange...

When I worked in a bock shop back in the 70's all I remember is the dum dum stuff also. I can not remember what my 70 had on it when they had to re manufacture my quarter after I got hit. A new quarter could not be found at the time and it took the guy 2 weeks to remake the quarter. When he was done you could not tell that it had been wrecked. Inside and out looked factory.

Its been awhile since I had mine off but it seems like they were about a inch wide and went across the top studs and down the outer side . A friend of mine that has a 71 is wanting these so I guess he must of saw them on his and wants to replace them .He can do like Tony did with his with the weather strip tape.Maybe we'll here from others.

68 and 69 Chevelles used them also.

Terry

I haven't had the extensions off on my current '70, but I can see the gasket sandwiched between the quarter and extensions, and I have to use a brush in the small gap after waxing.

The other '70 I had also had them, and they tore upon removing the extensions.

Could these be a '70-specific part, i.e. the "rubber rear quarter bumper guards" and the chrome pieces under the headlights? Possibly just early '70s (or those of Flint origin - both mine were).

I was thinking if I ever have to replace these gaskets, I would try to find a thin sheet of rubber and cut new ones.

Stopped by the body shop this morning where my Monte is being restored and he had the tail extensions off .The gaskets are there and were stuck to the extention and happy to say there in very good condition . yay also had the dum dum on the studs

Would be curious to know if it was a 70's thingy or plant to plant .

Terry

I think these are a 70 only item, like the rear bumper fillers.

I made a set from a new tire tube, not fun but worked perfect!!. Nobody has noticed or said anything wink.