Fender extensions

bdoubleu

I don't think so. I believe the dowel is different for the 70 also the 70 has a round headlight bezel and the 71 is square. What are you looking for? lots of spare parts to be had here. Post what you need in the for sale/ wanted section.

actually there are about three different core supports per each year eek

there are some very good threads about this, use our search feature to look for them, explaining this is very lengthy lol

If the headlights are not lining up with the fender extensions, it's very likely you have a 70 core support.

Your options are to finmd a 71 core support, but 1970 front end parts (extensions, grill, bumper) or try to modify the core support you have to fit 1971 parts. In my opinion, I probably wouldn't try modifying the core support.

As for the different types of core supports (within the same odel year) out there, they had one for a small rad (not very common) and a larger rad. So, in 1970 there are 2 types and in 71 there are 2 types. I think 72 they all had the same support which is the same as the larger rad support for 71.

The reason for the differene between the 1970 support and the 71/72 support is that they decided to move the headlights outwards a little bit for 71. The headlight was now located directly below one of the bolts that holds down the fender so they had to move it up about 1/2 inch higher. The area where the fender bolts to the core support is flat in 1970 but in 71/72 they had to create a "step" for the fender bolt above the headlight.

Just curious, has anyone ever welded the front fender extentions to the fender? With a litle bodywork, then you could eliminate the seem between the 2 for a nice clean look...

If a person has butchered the mounting holes on the extensions yes they will line up. Cause my '70 is like that. I have a '72 front clip on mine. When I bought my Monte it was made to look like a '72. all the trim and interior. I bought the front fender extensions from Leo and a grill for the '70 and I had to butcher up the headlights on the core support to move them in a few inches so the '70 extensions would fit. I am slowly installing the correct '70 parts on my car to make it look like the year it is suppose to be. You can also tell the difference from the z-bends on top of the core support where the front fenders 2 bolts, bolt up to the support. A '70 is flat at the bolt holes and the '71 and '72s have what looks like a z-bend at that mounting point.

When you say butcher did you have to make a new hole for the headlight buckets? Sounds like thats what I may to need to do the ext line up near perfect with the fender and grill,jus that darn headlight is off.When I get 71 bezels I will line up and see.