I broke it....

CrazyDavey

Thinking back to when I bought my axles and gears I bought them from an outfit called Tom's Differentials. When they arrived even though the axles were stamped with the Tom's Differentials logo on the ends they along with gears were in boxes from US Gear. Both the 33 spline axles and the 4.11 gears are suppossed to be hardcore 12 bolt racing stuff. I looked at their website and US Gear is available in 3.73 in both series three and four. I don't know the difference between 8620 and 9310, but I'm guessing it has to do with the alloy stength. If so and the 9310's are sronger they don't come in 3.73 for eith series carrier. They start at 4.11 and go up from there.

Greg, the big difference between a Pro gear and a street gear is the hardening of the face of the gears themselves. They are generally very loud and whiney, they wear out fairly quick, but might have a chance of holding up to Daveys right foot and right thumb. Transbrakes are wicked cool but terribly hard on parts.

And Davey, don't let the idea of 3.75 Pro gears sell you on the 9 inch. Let the pinion support bearing do that. The only real downer to a 9 inch, and it does not apply to you, yet, is the lowest numerical gear set is 3.25. My bud Carlos in his 99 Firechicken is running 177 MPH trapping at 7800 on his boosted LSX. Tires are a 325.60.15 so he is simply out of gear at the 1000 foot mark. My boy Steve on the other hand runs a Dana with 2.90s, just a tick more power, and traps right at 191 with the same tire and a tighter convertor.

I have dealt with Tom's Differentials before. and I seem to remember he has his own style of heat trating the gears. Might be worth a call 208-265-8111 email diffdude@gmail.com. It would be cool if you could keep you 12-bolt. Even though the 9 does have it's advantages, David

I have dealt with Tom's Differentials before. and I seem to remember he has his own style of heat trating the gears. Might be worth a call 208-265-8111 email diffdude@gmail.com. It would be cool if you could keep you 12-bolt. Even though the 9 does have it's advantages, David

I think it was just fatigue multiplied by a trans brake and would go right back to the Richmonds. Davey does no street driving anymore buy the whine of Pro Gears would drive me nuts. They sound like a Muncie with no gear lube in it.

I talked to Tom and he referred me to The Gear Shop which is here in So Cal. I bought the steel end cap from them because Tom said I could get it faster. The issue certainly looks like flex, the way that pivot bolt broke on the left end cap support tells me there was a lot of stress going on. I think that broke first and then allowed everything to move back disrupting the ring and pinion contact area....I'm on the fence now about fixing this, selling it and getting a 9" or give this one one more shot.... confused

I talked to Tom and he referred me to The Gear Shop which is here in So Cal. I bought the steel end cap from them because Tom said I could get it faster. The issue certainly looks like flex, the way that pivot bolt broke on the left end cap support tells me there was a lot of stress going on. I think that broke first and then allowed everything to move back disrupting the ring and pinion contact area....I'm on the fence now about fixing this, selling it and getting a 9" or give this one one more shot.... confused

I don't want to spend your money, but a 9" will insure it doesn't happen again.

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

I don't want to spend your money, but a 9" will insure it doesn't happen again.

yeah I know Greg but I'm already eating dog food to support this habit....I'll probably tone down the launch for now and see if I can come up with the funds down the road....

So sorry to hear of the break, but 200 passes on the gears is pretty good. Currie or Moser? That is a lot of abuse for a 12 bolt. Hope mine will last that long. Love your videos. Just like sitting in the passenger's seat. Keep us posted.

If the face hardening is the deal and that is where the noise comes from then I must have the 8620 gears in a series 4 style because mine doesn't make the kind of noise Andy is talking about. Davey couldn't you make a 4.11 series four pro gear work? I have the same steel cap you have from Tom. I bought basically my whole rearend from him minus the housing. I have one of his custom Eaton carriers as well. I'm sure it's all overkill for what I use my car for, but as stated before I planned on doing some racing, but lack of funds for replacement parts precludes that for now. Hey dog food is just like anything else in that you get used to it and after a while you may find that you actually like it.

Most drag racers can tell you that the canned verities are better. Just leave the cans in the hot sun until they swell a little, and there you have it a hot meal.