70 signal mod

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone know where you can get the spear that goes in the center of the factory light? None of the aftermarket outfits list them, although the spear from a 70 Camaro looks like it may be the same part. confused

I would like to see them working when you get them done...did someone say video...oops, that was me just thinking out loud... whistle

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone know where you can get the spear that goes in the center of the factory light? None of the aftermarket outfits list them, although the spear from a 70 Camaro looks like it may be the same part. confused

Hey Rob, I think you will find the 1970 El-Camino uses the same front bumper as the 70 Monte and therefore the same lights you seek....

Darren.

Originally Posted By: Outrider70

Hey Rob, I think you will find the 1970 El-Camino uses the same front bumper as the 70 Monte and therefore the same lights you seek....

Darren.

The Elcamino uses the same bumper but different lights. It is my understanding that this is a 70-72 Monte only part and nobody is reproducing them.

Nice MOD...this gives me idea's .....so DAMN YOU...<JK>

But I have a spare set of these.

One question you had to CUT the plastic covers out? I have a set of lenses and mine didn't have to be cut out? I have a complete set of the front and the rear housings including the chrome centre's a couple have some pitting but driver quality.

Just wondering if your using a load equalizer so you don't get a FAST FLASH due to lower resistance or putting in an electronic flasher to compensate?

Looks good however and nice ingenuity.

Scott

No computer in our Monte's. They should work fine.

Nothing to do with a computer or not. The old standard flasher unit is designed to be used with the filament bulbs that draw specific load and capacitance in the circuit. If you change over to LED lights the draw in the circuit is much less and in order NOT to have a FAST FLASH you would need to either A) put in a load equalizer or B install an electronic flasher that in essence doesn't care about the LOAD in the circuit and will flash at a standard constant rate.

In the Monte that is what I would do install an electronic flasher in place of the old standard as it's a simple plug in same way as factory ones. These are the HD flashers used a lot when towing a trailer and causes the opposite effect of a SLOW flash due to EXTRA load in circuit.

It is the same thing when you have a light out and one side flashes fast that is why you need load equalization.

Scott

I didn't even think about the flash speed I'll have to tackle that problem in a week or so when I get to the wiring. I couldn't get a good seal between the old lense and new lense so it was just easier to cut out the old lense and split the ring so it fit in the grove on the new lights. I was afraid of moisture forming between the lenses if I put them on top of each other. It would depend on the set of lights purchased as how to mate the old to the new. I'm sure with some fabrication you could probably use the entire peice so that the light looked stock from the outside.

I made the spoiler but I've been thinking about using it as a plug to make a mold for fiberglass and selling them since no one does... haven't really made a decision on that yet.

I made the spoiler but I've been thinking about using it as a plug to make a mold for fiberglass and selling them since no one does... haven't really made a decision on that yet.

You think adding additional pieces to each side of it, on top of the extension pieces, would make it look out of place?

Originally Posted By: LS5
Originally Posted By: Outrider70
None of the aftermarket outfits list them, although the spear from a 70 Camaro looks like it may be the same part. confused

Darren.

The Elcamino uses the same bumper but different lights. It is my understanding that this is a 70-72 Monte only part and nobody is reproducing them.

The '70-'73 Camaro RS (round parking light) vertical lens spear does look similar to the one in the '70 Monte Carlo lens, but I don't know if it's the same or not. '70 Monte Carlos and '70 El Caminos use the same front bumper with the round parking light cut-outs, but the light lenses are different; the Monte's is clear with the vertical spear/reflector, and the El Camino's is amber and plain. The '70's round parking lights aren't factory-correct for a '71 (rectangular) or '72 (grille-located).

But regarding your modifications with the LEDs - I think they're pretty cool! You did a great job with them, and they're a nice detail that complements the race-inspired/"restomod" look you've got going. I've read that the key to a successfully modified car is to pick a theme and stick with it. You're apparently doing that, and I'd love to see your Monte in the pages of Popular Hot Rodding and Super Chevy some day!

smile

Dave

I've thrown around the idea of making spoiler peices for the fender extensions but I'm pretty sure the nascar montes only had the center section. As far as mounting I would have to insert studds into the fiberglass during the molding process. I welded them on the metal one. The nice part about only doing the center section is that the spoiler would then work on the chevelle and skylark as well. The cost would really depend on the cost of supplies and time it would take to make them. Of course the first one is the hardest. I guess the question is whether or not theres enough market for it?