Rear end Bouncing

Hey All, need some advice just replace shocks the on my 71 backing out the drive way it bounced all over the place, and yes I did air them up.Any thoughts on what should be replaced first to help reduced that? I am rebuilding on a budget so I want to put my pennies in the right place as i continue to rebuild without taken the frame off.

What did you have on there before? How many pounds are you running in them? Air shocks pretty much give a bouncy ride even when they don't have a lot of air in them, they are designed to be used with a heavy load on them and if there is none then they are gonna bounce.

They where some very old monroes,I have the new shocks at about 60 the min is 40. My plan was is to put a 18" rims on the car. I the car is empty of everything currently only the driver bucket seat.

I may not be a shock expert, but I'd say that having air shocks that are supposed to support the weight of a nearly (IIRC) 4,000lbs car (full loadout) on an empty car, it will bounce a lot.

I'd probably always check the tires first. May have a seperation causing a bubble on one of the rears. I don't know what you have for suspension.I got lowering springs w/ air bags in em. If I put too much air in the bags it's worse than riding in my semi. So bad it seems dangerous.

Shocks main design is to stop a car from bouncing air shocks are designed to do the same as well as adding extra load capicty and to lift the car some. Mine has air shocks and does not bounce. What does it do when not moving and just bouncing the back of the car up and down? it should not bounce excessivly you may have some defective shocks. If it bounces when moving but not when standing still it could be a tire as mentioned. I am not really a fan of air shocks the only I have them on is because they were fairly new when I bought the car, when they go I will not put them back on. If the car is correctly sprung a good quality gas shock should be all you need. Good luck.

I have Monroe air shocks in the rear of my 71 Monte @ 60psi and my car does not bounce. I then added Moog 5385 rear coil springs and a Hotchkis 1" rear sway bar and now it doesn't lean. Since I weigh 260lbs, I guess you might say my car carries a heavy load even though I'm almost always by myself.

Mike

Is it a BOUNCE or a sharp HOP you are feeling. AS you stated every bump in the road seems to accentuate the ride, it may be as simple as just to stiff of a supension with the air shocks. Are the Air Shocks designed to be used with your car? Compatability is important!

Just sayin..............

Doug

• 1 month later...
I have Monroe air shocks in the rear of my 71 Monte @ 60psi and my car does not bounce. I then added Moog 5385 rear coil springs and a Hotchkis 1" rear sway bar and now it doesn't lean. Since I weigh 260lbs, I guess you might say my car carries a heavy load even though I'm almost always by myself.

Mike

Mine bounces like a raging bull. I'm gonna try to lower the psi. I always ride alone and weigh 150, so my uncle told me to put sand bags in the trunk.