Coil spring insulators on front?

Hey folks,

Did the Montes come with coil spring insulators on the front? I found rear ones in the NPD catalog and others, but I haven't found front ones yet.

I don't want to put the rusty old springs directly against the newly powder coated frame, especially since I'm not going to have time to get different springs before I have to put them on to pick up the body.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope none from the factory and when installing them the bottom of the spring should be oriented so it covers one of the small drain holes but not both.

I do remember insulators on the top of the front springs but not on the bottom. We used to tape them to the spring to hold them in place. Maybe that was on the full size car but I thought A body had them too. Mark why not give the springs a quick skuff and shoot so they arent all rusty in there?

I do remember insulators on the top of the front springs but not on the bottom. We used to tape them to the spring to hold them in place. Maybe that was on the full size car but I thought A body had them too. Mark why not give the springs a quick skuff and shoot so they arent all rusty in there?

Maybe it was the top...but I know they where there and it was unmolested when I got it.

DJ, no insulator on the front of my 72, backed up by assembly manual as well.

If you are in a big rush and don't have time to paint the springs, give the top contact areo of the springs a quick wire brush to get the rust off, apply some corrosion control spray (Crown, Rustchek, etc...) on it and the area it contacts the frame. It will keep it quiet and will not scratch anymore than if you had new springs.

Good luck.

Hey DJ, on the chevelle I painted my front springs with 2 coats of Black Por-15 and then sprayed them with Silver Por-15 paint as in those pictures I posted on your other Frame Post and now 2 1/2 years later no chips or scratches at all... And as mentioned when installing pay attention to the bottom arm as there 2 weeping or drain holes as mentioned Dont cover both as water will not drain out and rust will set in for sure.. Just my input thats all..

Darren.

Thanks for the tip on not covering the drain holes - I would have missed that for sure.

Should be able to get new springs before I need to put them back on, if not I'll do the wire wheel/rust inhibitor trick.

I'll keep looking, see if I find anywhere that might sell front insulators, since it seems to be a "some had it, some didn't" thing. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'll let y'all know if I find any.

• 5 weeks later...