Has anyone tried this?

Austin

I was looking through opgi and came across this in dash clock to tach conversion, now I was just gonna put in a autometer tach and call it a day but I like the stock factory apperence look a little better

or has anyone tried the on the hood tach off an old GTO?

http://www.opgi.com/p/interior-electrical/7946/158/CH26304.html

I think I just saw a new version of the hood tach in CHP or Super Chevy magazine...

hmm yeah i was just wondering if anyone has done the in dash clock to tach conversion and if it was just like plug and play and/or how hard is the install

but yeah ive thought about getting my clock fixed somehow and going with the hood tach

haha yeah im debating on whether to drill holes in my hood or not, but i do have a spare blue 70 hood in the garage so I dunno.

and the cheapest hood tach ive found is $200 used so im thinkin the in dash tach is what ill pry go with, plus im hoping to find a used fiberglass L88 or cowl hood too and i dont wanna drill holes in that

Why not do the whole optional gauge package? That will give you the in-dash tach and retains the clock. And you get an ammeter and temperature gauge to boot...

You will have to tear the instrument cluster apart anyways, so why not take it all the way?

Why not do the whole optional gauge package? That will give you the in-dash tach and retains the clock. And you get an ammeter and temperature gauge to boot...

You will have to tear the instrument cluster apart anyways, so why not take it all the way?

ditto

But I like the GTO idea I think it would be neat, I always loved to see that tach sitting on the hood of a GTO.

yeah sam i like your steering wheel too, was the tach swap like plug n play beacuse the guy at opgi told me all i had to do was unplug my clock or somethin and the tach should plug right into the harness and distribitor.but then again the same guy told me that the bumpers in 70 and 71 were the same which of course their not so i dunno whether to believe him or not

One the bumpers the rear is the only bumper that is the same 70-72. The optional dash cluster is nice but to change it over might not be cheap. The gto hood tach or the Buick hood tach is being reproduce now. To me it comes down to the look you are after. If you want the stock look of the dash with the tach(u-14 option) spend the money for the kit, if u want just the tach and keep the clock add an aftermarket tach or go with a different model of tach. You have a 6' flat hood that is plain.

yeah he told me the front bumpers were the same but their not the 70 has round parking lights, the 71 has like a squarish type and the 72 their in the grill and yeah i think i might go buy a gto hood tach to give my hood some style then when i finally find a used fiberglass one ill get the factory in dash tach converson