dash

monte70car

I have been playing with ideal of changing on my dash cluster for one from Dakota Digital. I came across some other items to take advantage of the features offer with one of their dash. Two weeks ago I went ahead and brought some of the items and they came in yesterday. One of the features the dash will have it the ability to monitor the trans in the dash vs my current setup with a trans temp gauge under the dash inertior004.jpg where I have oil psi water temp trans temp and a after market tach. Now the new set will have this projectdash001.jpg Only issue I see is the temp cable is only 18" long which might cause and issue in how it's run. I'm hoping to get this dash prd_803.jpg where the oil PSI will be in the dash still have the tach in the dash a volt meter and water temp. The clock pod is replaced by a big gas gauge with a digital read out for the clock the odometer and the trans temp. One item I have to find a home for it the dimmer switch so the brightness of the lights in the dash can be changed. more pictures of the tear down and being put together to follow when the dash is in. I'm also looking at another option that dakota digital has for the headlights.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the donor cluster HPIM2444.jpgHPIM2445.jpg I was able to remove the clear lens this afternoon using a 1/4" drill bit 008-9.jpg gave it a good wash 009-4.jpg I'm only missing the brake lens for the housing but that shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe by next Friday I should have the new cluster and have it bolted to the housing.Old under dash gauges removed 012.jpg

Been making some head way on the dash project. Got the stock cluster out of the dash which will free up so space. dash001.jpgdash002.jpg. I had to do so touch up work on the housing and the inner face of the dash 001.jpg002.jpg. I got the old stock speedo cable removed and ran the temp wire for the new trans temp box and have it temp in place on the glove box003.jpg

Well got the new cluster in today and got it matted to the housing. newcluster001.jpg volt gauge newcluster002.jpg water temp and oil PSI newcluster003.jpg. Now on the back of the cluster it as plug ins to use the stock dash turn signals high beam light and brake light plus a plug for the clock newcluster004.jpg

So today's game plan was doing some triming as I did not like the dash light opening being off so a little file was done. The cluster is now in the dash and it gives it deep set back which some might not like but it's looks dam good 002-1.jpg Here is a big picture of the volt gauge and the tach side of the cluster 003-1.jpg the water temp and oil PSI 004.jpgand a bigger pic005.jpg and both control boxes will be mounted on top of the glove box 006.jpg

I agree with the light saber metaphor. But you know there is one problem with those gauges and how bright they are!

If you (or when you) get stopped for speeding at night how will you ever say you couldn't read the gauges and the car is faster then you thought.... lol

Nice looking setup....LOVE the colour.

Mine is all GREEN which to me is RETRO after driving everything from Orange, to Blue to that orange and blue from my Mazda 3 the green takes me back to my old cars of my early days of driving...but the blue is way cool...congrats on the mod.....I am sure you will be very happy with it.

Scott

Scott I wish the gauges had a green display to keep the stock look but oh well. Yesterday the motor was started but the cam break-in did not get finish do to a few issue I had, one being the oil PSI not working(my fault as the wires where in the wrong place) which case the break-in to stop and the other is popping in the exhaust. Here is some new pictures of the dash. dash001-1.jpgdash002-1.jpg the silver knob is the dimmer for the dash so it's kinda out of sight. The rings around the gauges was redone dash003-1.jpg with alum base air brushing paint the high beam light was redone in flat black. dash004.jpg after looking at some other dashes I see the turn signals should be black not sliver so that has to be redone. During the day the gauges will be lite up dash006.jpg that is only level 15 on the brightness scale. Same picture with the flash turn on only got 2% of fuel in the tank dash007.jpglol

Scott I wish the gauges had a green display to keep the stock look but oh well. Yesterday the motor was started but the cam break-in did not get finish do to a few issue I had, one being the oil PSI not working(my fault as the wires where in the wrong place) which case the break-in to stop and the other is popping in the exhaust. Here is some new pictures of the dash. dash001-1.jpgdash002-1.jpg the silver knob is the dimmer for the dash so it's kinda out of sight. The rings around the gauges was redone dash003-1.jpg with alum base air brushing paint the high beam light was redone in flat black. dash004.jpg after looking at some other dashes I see the turn signals should be black not sliver so that has to be redone. During the day the gauges will be lite up dash006.jpg that is only level 15 on the brightness scale. Same picture with the flash turn on only got 2% of fuel in the tank dash007.jpglol