Valve adjustment question

gprimm

I am adjusting the valves on my SBC. I tighten them 1/2 turn past preload. Have done this before several times and everything was fine.

Tonight as I was doing this, for instance on #1 when you do both the intake and exhaust,I would go back (just a few minutes after final adjustment)and check and they would have "loosened" up a bit. That is, being able to turn the pushrod; whereas after I had just "Loaded" it, it would not turn.

What's going on? When I adjusted before, I would never go back and check. Kinda strange.

I assume your doing this with the engine not running. New lifters? new cam? flat tappet or roller? Hydaulic I assume did you fill the lifters with oil? (new lifters) Its been a while for me too but may be doing it this winter with cam and lifter change.

I prefer to adjust them while engine is running, call me old school but that was the way I learned how to do it when our cars were new.

I guess I'm old school too then. I always do the final adjustment with the engine running. I guess I don't trust 'em till I've seen them in action. lol

Different lifters require different preload settings. I just installed some Comp rollers that they recommend setting at 1 to 1 1/2 turns past 0 lash, but many other lifters , including many made by Comp, need less preload. Make sure of what's recommended for your specific lifter part #, if they are aftermarket. Your pushrods probably just have a little less pressure on them because a little of the oil in the lifter has bled off after the valve spring has had some time to push against the lifter plunger. The lifters will pump up again as soon as they get oil pressure.

I've used both the engine running or not running methods to adjust valves and I like the less mess way the best. Just make sure you are careful when locating the 0 lash point. It's easy to set the preload too high if you only rely on spinning the pushrod while tightening the rocker nut to find 0 lash. If the lifter doesn't have much oil in it, the plunger can be pushed down some (preloaded a little) before you feel much resistance to spinning of the pushrod. 0 lash is when the lifter plunger is all the way up and the pushrod can't be moved up or down.

Dan

When they appear to collapse minutes after adjustment it is the lifter bleeding down as the plunger releases pressure. Perfectly normal. Now, if you notice a smelly discharge when you........yeah, nevermind.

Andy's Auto: thanks. Was kinda thinking that. What is your preferred adjustment: 1/2 , 3/4 or 1 full turn as the final adjustment?

I have done 1 full turn in the past on stock stamped rockers. Have Procomp rollers and was doing 1/2 turn.

Andy's Auto: thanks. Was kinda thinking that. What is your preferred adjustment: 1/2 , 3/4 or 1 full turn as the final adjustment?

I have done 1 full turn in the past on stock stamped rockers. Have Procomp rollers and was doing 1/2 turn.

Stock stuff I always hit with 1/2 turn. Morels and Bullits rollers need a full turn. Lunati, Crower, and Crane are all over the place depending on application.

The biggest thing past noise is that if you get a rocker too tight, you have a change that after a good beat down, the valecan hang open for a few minutes and you could lose that cylinder. Then the is piston to valve clearance issues on high compression motors or mismatched pistons and heads.