Evaporator & plenum box paint

I am cleaning up things as I am taking them off. Not sure what to do with the evaporator & plenum boxes. What have you done with yours? Clean them up and use a detailer, clear paint or black paint? I'm not sure if a paint will stick to them right.

After cleaning mine up, I used Mother's plastic polish and a Powerball (actually their headlight restoration kit). It turned out a lot better than I expected.

In order to clean off the accumulated grease, sealant, etc., I used either 3M adhesive remover or 100% mineral spirits - neither of which damaged the plastic/fiberglass.

DSC02722.jpg

Cleaned it with a precleaner then sanded my box with 320 sandpaper, cleaned it with a precleaner again and then primed it with a lacquer based primer, lightly sanded it with 400 grit paper, cleaned it with a precleaner again and then used SEM trim black to paint so it matches the rest of the paint work under the hood.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to keep the factory-look, so I just cleaned and polished mine. Some use a semi-gloss black to match the rest of the underhood area. As far as marching the factory dark brown, I don't think you could match it with any color, because of the visible fibers that are molded into it.

Here are a couple more photos of the factory finish:

DSC02865.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

That looks great Bob. I took your advise, i started ealy and sanded and cleared mine also. I also wanted mine to look stock. It looks pretty good, i will try and get pics up tonight.

Thanks Willie!

Actually, I never sanded mine (Larry mentioned sanding his earlier in the thread). I just cleaned with mineral spirits and 3M adhesive remover and then polished them.

I am ticked i couldnt figure out how to get the pics to work last night. I will have to grab my son later.

Sanded because i wanted to get some scratches and scuffs out.

I did the evaporator box to match the heater core side. Holy cow i didnt realize there was so much stuff on it. Took me 3 whole days to clean it and sand it to where i wanted it to be. Someone painted it black, that made it hard because i want it to look stock. Then i cleared it to match the other side.

Pics later, i am beet.

Thanks guys,

Stupid ME, i dont get alot of time to work on the car, so i am in such a rush to get something done in the time frame i have, and i didnt take before pics. So all i have are the few you see, but let me tell you it was a mess before i started.

• 1 month later...

I think yours looks great, Willie. You've done a really nice job on it (and the rest of your car from what I can see in the photos). I don't know why the differences in color between yours and mine. Different suppliers? Different materials used in certain batches?

Perhaps another member knows?

Hi Willie yes that whole sub -assembly does look great-and looking at the two halves sitting there I couldnt help but think ,man that thing is one heck of a molded contraption!!(hope GM engineering circa mid 60's isn't listening lol) Brian