HEI conversion

Kane

I have a 1970 monte carlo and I just rebuilt the engine and tranny when I bought the car someone swap out the points for hei distributor . I check the wiring diagram and the wires for the coil are not in the car anymore I just have the purple wire for the starter solenoid. The hei distributor has the factory plug I just need help on how to wire it up. My fuse block has a slot with a malé connector in it that says ignition looks like I can put a female connector on the factory hei wire and plug it in the ignition slot. All help would be appreciated.

I ran the hei factory plug to the slot on my fuse block that said ignition is it any other wires I need to run for hei distibutor to work because the distributor is not firing. I took a test light that has a red and green light it glow green when I touch the hei plug to see if it had power. Thanks for your help.

Make sure the distributor clamp is tight enough to ground the distributor well. The distributor wiring connector has a connection for a tachometer and another for the 12V+ ignition wire. Be sure the ignition wire is on the correct (rear) terminal.

Also, make sure the ignition wire you ran has 12 volts on it while cranking the motor, not just with the key in the engine run position.

Dan

I put it in the one that says bat on it. How many wires do I need to hook up hei distributor to work properly.

You'll only need the 12v ign. (12v) wire to operate the HEI.the other plug is used for the positive wire(pickup) for a tach.make sure the ign. wire you installed works with your key. simple power is all it needs and it does the rest.should have power with gin.key on and no power with it turned off.

I put it in the one that says bat on it. How many wires do I need to hook up hei distributor to work properly.

You don't want it on a battery terminal because that one will be hot all the time. You need to find a terminal that is hot while cranking and hot when the key is in the run position and dead when the key is turned off. If anyone else waqnts to hook up a HEI you can use the factory coil positive wire but you need to remove the resistor wire from the circuit and supply 12 volts.

This was the post I was referring to.

Not this one, sorry if you misunderstood my post.

Originally Posted By: allchevy
it's called a test

I think when Kane referred to the bat connection, he was talking about the connection at the distributor, not the fuse block.

Dan