Cooling issue

amsterdam84

Alright between doing the strut in my mazda and trying to get a ragjoint for the steering conversion I have noticed I keep getting high temps. From startup I have the temp climb up to the 210 to 240 degree range. Then it will drop to around 180-190. Then it will slowly climb up to over 210.

Thermostat is a 190 degree and it has been replaced 3 times with the same results. Water pump was replaced 3 years ago. Small leak on the waterneck hose as they are swollen but not enough to cause this heating issue.

Does not matter how I drive, spirited, crusing etc. If I just let it idle up to 170ish it will not go over 190 right away but will eventually crawl to over 210 over time.

Any ideas?

The rad came with the car and I was told it was a non aluminum 3 core radiator. Motor is a mostly original with MAYBE a slightly more lumpy cam yet have not been able to verify.

are you by chance running aftermarket pulleys on your engine?

I had the same issue when I used the smaller (overdrive) crank pulley, that slows the waterpump. Changed back to stock pulley and have had no more cooling issues since

you could take it to a radiator shop and have it checked

the cooling system should be sealed and able to hold 15 psi of pressure.

if you have seepage you have pressure loss.

each 1 psi of pressure equates to nearly 3 degrees of added boiling point.

if the system cant hold pressure it cannot perform as it was designed.

fix youre leaks and replkace the radiator cap.

my 2 cents.

bob

Having the same issue since getting A/C compressor working again. It'll run from 200 to 210 and on hill or under heavy accel to 220. I think I used to run 180-190 before compressor. Running stock fan/shroud, 3 core OEM style radiator. All components were replaced during resto 4 years and 12 K ago. Wow have you seen the prices on all aluminum radiators?

I did just clamp off the heater hoses, and am running straight water with water wetter. Will try test of driving in heat with no A/C to see what temps are running.

Is this a factory water temp. gauge or aftermarket? Either way is it reliable?

It will run cooler with a 50/50 water/anti freeze mixture. At least mine did

Everything I ever read always said nothing runs cooler than straight water. Mixtures are for lubrication of the cooling system, anti rust, and antifreeze purposes.

The ethylene glycol in anti-freeze doesn't just raise the freezing point of water, it also raises the boiling point. The higher boiling point allows the fluid to transfer more heat before converting to steam.

I have to agree with Bill. Antifreeze does raise the boiling point of water, but it does not transfer heat as well as water. A 15 lb radiator cap raises the boiling point of plain water about 35 to 45 degrees. 2 1/2 to 3 degrees per pound of pressure. I run water and a corrosion inhibitor and water pump lube. You don;t want to take a chance of dumping antifreeze at a drag strip. you will anger a lot of people.