High volume water pump

wallaby

Does anyone here have a high volume water pump on their big block?

I got the "house brand" Summit aluminum pump, and it has some fitment issues: I had to grind away some of the external webbing to allow my alternator bracket to fit, and the boss for the bolt was too long and had to be trimmed shorter. The Boss that holds the PS adjustment was threaded for a 7/16 bolt when the original was 1/2"...and it was too short and had to be shimmed with a stack of washers to hold the PS pump straight. The hose nipples at the top of the pump were at a different location, and required a custom bypass hose. To top it all off, the pump was shipped with small block gaskets and didn't come close to fitting.

Some of my error is my fault: I made the required mods by cutting, grinding and filing the pump to make the bracket fit, and then upon trying to start the engine I find the pulley doesn't even rotate!

I can force the pump to go around with a wrench, but it's so stiff the drive belt won't turn it.

Duh! I don't recall trying to rotate the pump before I installed it. I have a claim in to Summit telling of my issue, but don't know yet how they will handle the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the required mods have voided any waranty. It's an expensive lesson.

I guess the question now is whether to buy a similar replacement and check it before making the mods, or choose a differnt brand that fits right to begin with. Anyone here have recommendations on a high-volume big-block pump that fits without issue?

Wow, this is the kind of stuff that happens when you work late into the night.

I went out this morn to remove the defective pump... not too happy about that as you can imagine. When I loosened the bolts that hold the pulley to the pump, presto! it rotates as freely as can be. OMG, I just used some bolts that were a bit too long and they bottomed out on the pump housing! No wonder it felt like broken rocks when I went to rotate it.

Now I just need to retract all the bad stuff I said to Summit in my Email to them. LOL

Somewhere in the bulk of this post is a lesson.

Reminds me of when I was sold the wrong brake shoes that were about 1/4" too wide. Everything was fine till I bolted on the wheels, then it was stuck.

There were still other issues or problems with that pump that should not be there. Where was it manufactured?

Bruce

Doesn't say where it came from on the packaging.

Actually, it's a very nice casting...pretty to look at anyway.

I ordered the Summit brand, but what I got looks exactly like the Weiand brand pump (minus their logo).

You can see in the photo that there is a support web next to the alternator bracket mounting point on top of the pump. That entire web had to be removed, as my bracket wraps around rearward from that point.

WND-9242.jpg