Engine Paint

snomobeelr

The old "Chevy Engine Orange" color discussion. My 71 engine when new was not the orange we all love and have come to expect. My engine was a much redder orange when new. I asked at work (E. I. DuPont) back in 1982 about this and was told engine paint is not controlled like topcoat and interior colors, it's just junk paint. This is also around the time they started to pull harmful pigments out of paint to protect workers and the environment. Lacking these dangerous pigment, it was more costly to get and in some ways impossible to get the same old color so it morphed till Chevy went to some ugly blue. In talking to Chevrolet powertrain engineers, they wanted BLACK because it didn't show oil leaks as quickly resulting in warranty claims.

I will review this information with my old boss at DuPont and let you know if I have anything wrong.

Bruce

Yeah, the orange vs red-orange (orange-red) went around a year or two ago.

When my buddy and I were rebuilding my engine, I wanted the Chevy Orange, but my buddy went ahead and painted it the Orange-Red when I wasn't around, by accident. I got upset at first, but then heard that right around 1971 (unverified), they went to the Orange-Red from the factory, so it may be more correct. I've grown to like it and the differences are not noticeable unless you put them side by side.

We used Duplicolor.

Some restorers I know use the Hemi orange. But whatever you use I have found the following make my paint last and last:

After cleaning the engine, I prime it with Epoxy primer. Then I put the color on top. Have never had any flake-off with this method. Also used the Por-15 and it was great too.