No Running Lights

Big Jim

My friend Ned is having problems with the lights on his 71 Monte. His running Lights, Turn Signals and Backup Lights quit working recently. He does have brake lights and headlights. Can yall refer me to a post or recomend a solution.He is leaning towards a new headlight switch.

Hey Jim, Sam is correct Headlight switch is outta the question as he has headlights as you mentioned and the Reverse lights are from the Safety nuetral switch either on the end of the steering column or in the console under the shifter. My guess and a long shot is if the turn signals and others are out try the dash harness plug in on the back of the gauge cluster, sometimes over the years the two plastice tabs that secure it to the cluster one breaks off and does not hold the harness head tight to the cluster printed circut board causing electrical failures in lights or gauges and such.... other than that check the fuses in the fuse block even if they were replaced calcium builds up on the ends of the fuses from water off shoes and can cause bad connections too..double check the centerbolt in the underhood harness that holds the front harness and engine harness tight to the backside of the fuse block might be loose causing headaches......

Darren.

First if all these circuits are effected since they do not share a common + connection it could be a GROUND issue (or rather very likely it is) here is a simple TEST to do. Run a wire from the - terminal of the battery to the negative side of one of the lights (say the turn signal) and activate the turn signal. Anything? If so it is a ground issue (again most will think no but try this) if that works try one of the other circuits that is not working (same method). If it works then it is a chassis ground and harness. Check the high beams do they work? If not check the floor switch for them as these is a ground that runs through this switch for some odd reason?

I maybe off but that is what I would look at since you've ruled out many other potential problems and trying to come up with what is common to all these (the ground side)

Good luck hope you find it and it's an easy fix

Scott

This is a puzzle. The "wrench in the works" is the back-up lights. All the other items you mention have things in common, but the back-up lights are on their own and not related. As mentioned above, about all there is in common is a reliable ground for everything.

The running lamps are energized through the headlamp switch, but the turn signals and the back-up lights are energized by the ignition switch....they should come on regardless if the headlights are turned on or not.

My first thought was that you could have a bad turn signal switch in the steering column. The turn signals, brake lights, and hazard lamps all feed through that switch on their way to the bulbs... but the turn signal switch has nothing to do with the back-up lights.

If it were me, I'd start by trying to figure out the issue with the back-up lights first and ignore the other stuff for now. It's a smaller/simpler circuit and you may uncover the gremlin in the other stuff in the process.

most over-think electrical problems..first, kick back analyze the schematic, once you understand how and why it works, then follow the sequence of events, then and only then if you still don't understand it.. freaking throw in the towel. lol I'd look at the first point where all the above are related, maybe a main disconnect point like the harness under the carpet, that's assuming you have checked the obvious.

Is there now, or has there ever been a trailer wiring harness "attached" to the rear "in trunk" harness?

Has the car been crashed or 1/4 panels / floor pans welded on?

Carefully start at one end and inspect the harness from the rear.

Could be a bunch of burned out bulbs! I did see it one time!

Bruce