B&M Street strip Trans

Will

Hey Guys,

getting on a bird home tonight and go the go ahead to go shopping from the wife. I'm thinking the B&M street strip trans should do nicely. Opinions? TH400 sitting behind a 468 putting out about 550hp. Also moving shifter the the floor. Thinking B&M as well, Drive when Im cruising and ratchet 1,2, and Drive when I wanna go fast. Thoughts or experience? Thanks

Will

Do you have a 400 core already? Have you considered a local hi-po guy to do the build? Just thinking of warranty issues, shipping, etc. I would stick with the 400 - mine's still going strong after 18 years of "spirited" driving. It was built locally by a sponsor of the drag strip.

go to your local drag strip, find out who they use and have one built for you. nothing beats a face to face relationship, plus it support your local business. most of the time it is cheaper too.

all of our trannies from street car to our 6 second sportsman car comes from the same guy.

thanh

Had my 400 built by a local transmission shop (Cottman). Been beating on it for 8 years now with no issues. I knew I was at the right place when I walked in the shop, they had a wall of photos of customers classic cars that they had worked on.

Thanks for the info guys, Im def staying with the 400 no matter what. Just a matter of what brand. Ill do some more local research though. See if I can find something better at a local speed shop.

You can also try speaking to local racing engine builders. Everyone knows the respected guys in their area that the race guys prefer. They likely work hand in hand on many race cars and can recommend a reputable performance tranny shop for your build.

One word of advice. Build the internals of the tranny to what your eventual goal is with the motor ..... not to simply what you have today (Other than the converter which is matched to current cam specs). Always better to over build if thats the direction your going rather than blowing it up when you get there and paying twice to build tranny. If it is built right the first time a built Turbo 400 (as stated above) will take a lot of abuse before it retires.

Dan

Ive got a working th400 core. I got hooked up with info of a local race trans builder. hopefully gonna talk to him today about doing a beefed up rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I took everyones advice and found a guy who guilds local race trannys. Going with a beefed up TH400 that can hold 800hp, forward pattern manual valve body, and custom continental torque converter. Spending more then I planned but the extra strength should be worth it. Looks like I just may not get as much done on the interior as I hoped. haha