wheel bearing replacement questions?????????

bigscaht

ok so im now trying to get my front end back together and went and got a new set of wheel bearings..my question is do the rotors have wheel bearing races in them & if so do they need to be replaced also??..do you buy them seperate cuz they didnt come with the bearings.

Yea, the races aren't too hard to replace. You can knock them in/out with a brass or aluminum punch, or one of them fancy bearing tools. The tool is handy for install, but won't help with removal.

brd129ma_d_update.jpg

The races often get pitted or worn, and a new bearing won't last long on a used race. Don't forget to get some quality disc brake grease...I like the semi-synthetic stuff, and a set of new grease seals as well.

It's nice to have that all worry-free.

Scott,

Here's a link to a photo journal I did when replacing the front wheel bearings: (Aaron also has a great photo journal on this but I can't find the link to his.)

Replacing front wheel bearings

Note that removing the old races is covered in the photos and captions of slides 7 - 9. I've not heard of anybody selling the bearing without both inner and outer races included. See slide 13 for a complete bearing/race assembly as made and sold by many manufacturers. As Mark recommended, you should replace the seals also and they are almost always sold as separate items.

Step14.jpg

Note the opposing indentations in edges of the inner and outer race retaining shoulders in the photo (easier to see with the old grease removed). Those are the indentations that allow you to get a drift punch on the back edge of each race to tap them out if you don't have a bearing puller.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Check out my wheel bearing replacement album. I managed to do it without special tools but it took me some time. I also did this with one hand so if i can do it, anyone can, LOL.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=581

Great info from everyone.

One thing that I read about and tried, was putting the rotors in the oven at 200f for about and hour. This really helped make it easier to remove and replace the races as the heat expanded the rotor.

Sam, as a side comment, I bought new rotors and new brgs that came with new races and was going to use the brg races and toss the new rotor races feeling they may be better. The rotors were not made in the USA but the brgs were.

Bruce