Lower Control Arms. How much benefit?

Will

Hey Guys,

Going to be installing air shocks and el camino springs soon. Came across a set of Edelbrock 5204 lower control arms. Listed for 100. Figure while Im under there I can used the extra traction. Do they provide a noticeably benefit? Opinions?

Do they provide a noticeably benefit?

do they ever! Specially with a sway bar..the difference is like night & day. Specially in the handling department! I don't know what your goal is but a simple upgrade in the rear is so beneficial for our platform.

Awesome, well Ill def pick up those arms if the guys on craigslist still has them. How important is brand in the sway bar. Hotckis is over 300. But the best, which brand is more reaosnably priced?

I have a sister in law that works at Edelbrock! So I get plenty of stuff at a good price? Now First the #5204 are not for our FGMC

Vehicle Applications:

Catalog #5204 - 1982-2002 Camaro/Firebird & 1978-1988 GM A/G-Body

Catalog #5205 - 1964-1972 GM A/G-Body

as far as the sway bar is concerned, I guess you could make anything work in the rear, common to the control arms. If your asking me will the drilled holes align-up? I'm afraid I can't answer that. Maybe a call to technical support could answer your question? I may be wrong here.. but I think they did away with their suspension line...I'll have to find out from her.

Lower Control Arms. How much benefit?

William, I didn't want to leave you hanging without helping you a bit further, now there's dozens of parts outlets out there offering some nice priced kits. I can think of half dozen or so, all depending on locality and how soon you want them

All depending on the upgrade you're looking for and also the kind of money you're looking to spend. A nice inexpensive after market kit I have purchased, I bought out here and just because they're local is from True Connections linky and I save on the shipping. You can buy a boxed set of control arms & sway bar.. only draw back!! Made in China! There was a time when they sold G.M. stuff, but that's changed. I believe the sway bar is still available G.M. but it's costly. The Chinese is comparable inferior but half the price.

Will, thanks for posting that. I forwarded it to my son (a 2011 grad of the Air Force Academy). His girlfriend who is a Jr. at the Academy may be bringing something to Chicago for him at Christmas!!!

And yes, on my 1971 Monte, I put upper and lowers on and they work well.

Hey Guys,

Going to be installing air shocks and el camino springs soon. Came across a set of Edelbrock 5204 lower control arms. Listed for 100. Figure while Im under there I can used the extra traction. Do they provide a noticeably benefit? Opinions?

they will do nothing for traction Will... wink

I run this setup on the lowers Jegs lower arms and these on the top Upper arms. I don't know how much a stock configured replacement lower control arm would help with traction over a factory boxed arm with good bushings.

I also noticed that you are planning elky springs and air shocks. I might try the springs first it might be high enough without the air shocks.

Just picked up a nice set of lower control arms from "Performance Suspension" here locally. Graphite Impregnated polyurethane bushing (that's a mouthful)There are grease fittings for each bushing, Any special grease for polyurethane???

When I ordered my Polygraphite Kit from PST it came with small plastic containers of specific purpose grease, white in colour, not sure you could get that in a grease gun. I looked on their site trying to get info on it but can't find it. May be worth giving them a call.

I think silicone grease is what they supply with the kits. It's the same stuff used to lubricate O-rings so the rubber isn't ruined.

The trick is WHERE you apply it: it goes on the outside of the cross-tube at assembly...not inside the cross-tube where the bolt goes through.

The bushings were already assembled in the control arms but these units have grease fittings on each end also. I guess a high quality grease to protect from moisture & dirt is all that's required??

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my swaybar in from Summit & installed yesterday. What an improvement! As the saying goes 'She's grounded to the ground!'

DSCF1565.jpg

New lower control arms, swaybar, and added 1" coil spacer, only need to run 25#'s in the air shocks vs 55#.

DSCF1563.jpg

Looks great, Murray!!

You've apparently been doing some of your signature cleaning and refurbishing under there already. Looking nice!

Is the new bar powder coated or did you apply the finish? Were the new control arms already "boxed" for a sway bar or maybe they are constructed differently to start with?

I would hold off on the air shocks. I am running a Helwig sway bar, Edelbrock adj. uppers,solid lowers and the anti-hop bars. My car has springs with a 3 inch lift and stock HD shocks. Car handels great and very little roll in a curve. Hooks up great and i just run stret tires. Just another FYI. Good luck with your project.