What is the correct length for the air ride tank?

496Bowtie

I saw this post from jays55. "Have the seller measure the length before bidding on this for your Monte! The Caddy units are usually shorter that the units used on Montes. The Monte unit is 17 3/4", the Caddy is 15 1/4" (end to end roughly). Unless you just want it for part!." The last ebay item that went for $575 was the short version and the current ebay item is the shorter version per the seller. What is correct for my 70 SS?

Measured a spare I have. Tank alone is 13 1/2 inches.Compressor alone is 4 inches.Tank with pump is 17 1/2. Both measured to end of the mounting point on the tank. Close enough to 17 3/4 for my eyeball and tape measure check. Where in WI are you?

Correct lenght is 11 inches from pump flange to tip of mounting end of rear bushing threaded hole the correct style is with the extra cap on the end not the smooth bullet shape. The one you have is for Limo use. Bob

I have an NOS one that has some shelf wear from being out of the box and a small dent in the part of tank at 6 O'clock when mounted so won't be seen. It can also be tapped out from inside but I have not messed with it.. It has cadmium plated tank, no brackets. Got a perfect one and willing to part with my first NOS find.

Also available:

NOS Set of correct part# (style) SuperLift shocks (dated 1992)

Two Load Level switches ( 1- NOS & 1-used off 80k California car)

Planning to list on eBay in next week or so.

Anyone interested send me a private message.

Dan

• 3 months later...

Info on the correct tank length can be confusing. Recent ebay auctions have muddied the water more confused. I have researched this before and was convinced the longer tank was correct. Unfortunately, my '70SS had the inner fenders replaced when restored and the original holes are not there.

Those with original tanks installed, or tanks installed where original inner fenders (with holes) were used can help us out. All other measurements being the same, the difference in length can be measured in the length of the "inner" canister between the pump housing and the end cap. See the pictures below; the shorter canister measures 8 1/8" from "lip to lip". The longer canister measures 10 1/8".

It would help us out if you members with installed original compressors would take this measurement and post it here.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

levelcomprlong_zpsd7e9a5f8.jpg

levelcomprshort_zpsee730698.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still like to get some of the SS454 owners to post this measurement taken from their LL compressors.........

Info on the correct tank length can be confusing. Recent ebay auctions have muddied the water more confused. I have researched this before and was convinced the longer tank was correct. Unfortunately, my '70SS had the inner fenders replaced when restored and the original holes are not there.

Those with original tanks installed, or tanks installed where original inner fenders (with holes) were used can help us out. All other measurements being the same, the difference in length can be measured in the length of the "inner" canister between the pump housing and the end cap. See the pictures below; the shorter canister measures 8 1/8" from "lip to lip". The longer canister measures 10 1/8".

It would help us out if you members with installed original compressors would take this measurement and post it here.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

levelcomprlong_zpsd7e9a5f8.jpg

levelcomprshort_zpsee730698.jpg

Hi Jay....Bob knows these tanks like the back of his hand and has restored many but I'll see if I can help clarify. My car is not out of storage yet as mother nature wasn't cooperating recently. She'll be out this weekend though so I'll try to remember to take some measurements and post it them. It is going to be much warmer here this Sunday so they say....finally. LOL

Cheers,

Larry

Jay,

I have two.

For my 1970 SS the air tank measures 8 1/8 inches, as you have measured yours. The date code is 290-9

For my 1971 SS the air tank measures 8 1/8 inches, again as you have measured yours. The date code is 079-0

Great info as I was not aware of the date code on the head.

That's awesome! Thanks Bob, Vaughn & Larry. I think these measurements, plus the date code info, clarifies the issue beyond a reasonable doubt. I admit my error of conclusion in my earlier research. I'm sorry for any confusion my previous posts may have caused.

I may be wrong but Bobs measurement of 11" is from the base of tank (where it meets pump)to the tip, not as Jay measured in the pics whichs seems to be front edge of the reinforcing collar on pump end of tank which is about an inch wide.

Just an observation.

Dan

True. I asked for the "inner tank" measurement because it is a flat surface, easy to measure, and the only length that varies on the units. It's hard to measure other lengths due to the fact that one must "eyeball" the uneven surfaces. Because of that, these other measurements often have variances. But, because the inner tank length difference is 2" (8 1/8 vs 10 1/8), an base-to-tip length of 11', or an overall length of 14", could only be the shorter tank (8 1/8).

BTW, none of my 4 compressors were painted. All have natural pumps and plated tanks, so I think that is how they should be restored.....

• 2 weeks later...
Correct lenght is 11 inches from pump flange to tip of mounting end of rear bushing threaded hole the correct style is with the extra cap on the end not the smooth bullet shape. Bob

With all this talk about the compressors, I had to go look. My '71SS has carried this compressor unit since it came to our family in 1977...everything else on the car seems unmolested, but I have the smooth canister type without the added cap on the end.

The can itself measures 10 1/4", with a 1 1/4 stud at the end.

The head date code reads: 076-1

It can be seen in this photo:

001.jpg

Well the pump is correct & dated as 76 day of 71 However they stopped using the smooth tank in late 1967 because it would rust out quicker because of the condensation created by the engine vaccum. You can always find another tank,Also all the factory correct compressors I have ever documented has a flat blk tank. Having said that I had my plated inside & out yellow zinc so it will last longer.

The NOS Load Levelling Accessory kit I purchased came with everything from compressor to shocks and included a compressor with cadmium plated tank with cap. In fact Bob, I believe I sent you pics when I got it for verification.

Who knows. Maybe there was a switch over at some point due to cost. The parts in the accessory kit I have are all dated '69. So maybe the early cars were cad plated and at some point they switched to black to reduce costs.

........ just another unknown surrounding the GM "wizard" and his mysterious ways.

Dan

I beleave the key word is Kit as the factory built car were made at cost cutting option when they could. also even though the same company manufactured all of them, Perhaps the tank were from a different vendor. Later Bob