I hope -I think I have an TRUE '71 SS!!!!!

Capri's 71 SS

Your car should have a 12 bolt and the stock gear set would have been 3.31:1. It could have been ordered with 2.56:1 gears as well. The only monte's with a 10 bolt were factory 350 2 barrel carb cars. All 350 4 barrel and up motors got a 12 bolt. It should also have a turbo 400 transmission. Th400's came with the big blocks and th350's came with small blocks. The quickest way to tell is look at the top of the accelerator pedal inside the car. If there is an electrical switch attached to it, you have a th400. Except for the horizontal rubber bumper pad missing from the rear bumper your car has all the signs of a real SS car. For me the most overlooked or neglected item when faking them is the international symbols on the dash knobs. 1971 SS is my favorite. I owned a rosewood metallic with black vinyl top and black cloth bench ss454 car back in the late 1970's. Still have the build sheet and paperwork for the car. You have a beautiful car, congratulations.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Monte is loud though as prev owner has glass paks on it so I still wonder about the long ride with the loudness. Also, putting in 2 5-point harness carseats in the back seat.....

I have a very great sounding exhaust to but when we are on the highway and just cruising it is pretty quiet (except when passing) so I think you might be surprised. No substitute for a long wheel base and weight lolfgmcc

terry

Hey - the front inner wheel wells are plastic & not steel.........is this another indication that it may possibly be a true SS?

Also, the car on ebay that most members are seeming to agree is a reall SS based on the car having 3 build sheets with it...has a 10 bolt rear end.

Do 1971 SS HAVE to have a 12 bolt or can they (apparantly) have a 10 bolt? Not that I am questioning the wisdom of pp but just trying to get things straight.

A great looking car, congratulations. Hopefully you will be able to find the build sheet for your car to verify that you have an SS. My 70 Monte is a Flint car and I have not found a buildsheet for it.

Out of curiousity, what length is your trailer? I just bought an 18' car hauler with a dovetail and was wondering if my 70 Monte will fit on it. I haven't had a chance to put mine on my trailer since the trailer is stored at my girlfriend's house 30 miles away. Nine looking trailer by the way.

Wayne

A great looking car, congratulations. Hopefully you will be able to find the build sheet for your car to verify that you have an SS. My 70 Monte is a Flint car and I have not found a buildsheet for it.

Out of curiousity, what length is your trailer? I just bought an 18' car hauler with a dovetail and was wondering if my 70 Monte will fit on it. I haven't had a chance to put mine on my trailer since the trailer is stored at my girlfriend's house 30 miles away. Nine looking trailer by the way.

Wayne

Wayne:

See post above from Rob who says:

Quote:
Before tearing the car apart looking for that coveted piece of paper, check the VIN number. If there is an "F" in the middle of the VIN number you can stop looking. The cars built in the Flint plant didn't have them. I should say that nobody here has ever found a Flint Built car with a build sheet.
Also, our trailer is an 18' with dove tail so you should be good!

First let me say congrats on the new ride, great looking car.

Looks like the real deal in the pictures, My car is also a Kansas City built 71 SS. I found the build sheet on top of the gas tank. When you look be very careful because it's not going to be in good shape after being up there 36 years. Lower the tank easy and feel up top if you feel paper lower the whole tank to get it.

If the engine is a CPD code and has partial car vin # it's an SS you could only get a 454 in an SS in 71. The trans should also have the vin # stamped on the driver side just above the pan, also the trans will have a tag on the passenger side that has a CF code.

My car was also missing the rear bumper pad and I have yet to install it.

The car on e bay with a 10 bolt is a mistake he updated the listing with correct 12 bolt info.

The rear should be a 3.31 RU code 12 bolt may or may not be posi traction. It should have metal flaps (shock protectors)in front of the shocks and should have a leveling valve assembly on the upper rear control arm which connects to the auto level compressor under the hood. ( I don't see yours under the hood but I see the mounting holes in the inner fender).

Anyway I hope some of this info helps, I did alot of homework when I got mine !!

It's nice to see another Z20 on the boards laugh

If you have any questions PM me and I will try to help, I am no expert but will help if I can.

Darrell

Thanks!! So much info and so much help.....

Darrell - beautiful car! I rec'd post from ebay car seller & he does have a 10 bolt....

yes that is the car & the thread I am referring to - the final few posts are from myself & the owner of the ebay car.......

I sent an email to Leo to see if he can give a definative answer.....

Thanks!

I pulled the original invoice out and here is what is ays...I need to try & find the ORIGINAL owner........

71 Chevy Monte Carlo Price $5210.55 b4 taxes & stuff final cost $5874.87

Optional Equipment & Accessories it says the following:

air

soft ray tinted glass

intrumentation

aux lighting

power steering

am/fm radio

roof cover

spt steering wheel 4/spd

appearance guard group

positraction

turbo hydramatic

rear window def

It does have the am/fm 8-track though it doesn't mention it on this invoice.......

Not sure why it says 4/spd after the sport steering wheel.......

I sure hope Greg can get the inspection tomorrow so we can take her off the trailer & start searching through it!

Yeah, without rear bumper guards, you should have the rear rub strip.

The strip had a steel spine in it that had the bolts through to the bumper. This steel spine would rust & rot and the strips would budge and split. Their availability was limited as only a few cars (71 SS cars without bumper guards) had them. Many folks pulled off the original bumpers and installed plain ones.

Some time in the mid 80's, I had sent an original rub strip to (I believe) Metro Mould in or around Chicago. From that, they made the mould that the repro rub strip is made and can be bought today. I think the spine is stainless now.

Check for the air ride equipment, the lines and fittings, the valve and the shock protectors. All SS cars had this option. While your air pump is gone, the rest of the stuff should be there.

Nice looking car, I think it’s real. Re-do the interior with bucket seats and the floor shifter. Not easy but it’ll really feel like a sports car.

I’d love to find a triple blue 71 SS, we can all dream...

I'm in The Bahamas doing a sound install for a week, it's sooo nice but no Monte's of any year so far.

-Paul Bell

Mymonte,

Thanks for the trailer info. My car should fit with no problem although I wish I would have ordered the tie down rings on mine.

Wayne

For the sport steering wheel, it should have been refering to a 4 spoke wheel, not a 4 speed wheel. The 1970 sport steering wheel had 3 spokes. 1971 & 72 had a 4 spoke as the sport wheel. Also the factory did NOT put a 10 bolt behind the big block motor in the montes. The rear may have been changed over the years but it absolutely left the factory with a 12 bolt! 10 bolts only went with the base 350 2 barrel motors. The restoration packets are very clear about that.

OK, I feel very good that it should have a 12 bolt. Leo even confirmed it and the ebay car guy agreed his is a 12 bolt.

Perhaps after 14 hours of driving and being awake for 22 hours and it being dark, my husband mis-counted. He has the car at the title bureau right now getting inspected. I need to have him look again to see if it is a 10 or 12 bolt.

THANK YOU!!

Yah!! She is off the trailer & parked in the garage - AND, she has a 12 bolt!! Whew! I feel so much better about that. Unfortunately, we are dealing with a snow ice storm at the moment so it puts a damper on Greg being able to do much with her in the garage...(sigh)...I just want to go through the list & find out what she has & what she is missing & look for that build sheet....I am so anxious and excited!!

what letter is in the VIN number?

before you spend a bunch of time looking for it, lets find out where it was built, if it was from Flint, I doubt you'll find one

check-out this link wink

http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/vindecoding.shtml

My car was a Kansas mfg plant so no cope out on it being a Flint car & no build sheet. Checked under the front seats today but no luck. As soon as our weather breaks, my husband will be able to drop the gas tank..if still no luck then one weekend this Spring he will remove all the interior and carpet to look for the darn build sheet. We are the 4th owner so I am hoping if there ever was one with the car that it is still there...somewhere. I just want that 100% confirmation that it is a true SS. Everything else (components) is pointing in that direction but I want to see it in black & white, ya know?

would you please look and see if the letter L is on the lower bottom of the cowl trim tag , it is my belief that all 71SS cars built at Kansas city will have this on the cowl tag , i have 2 but was not able to confirm this with anyone else

thanks Leo

Leo there is an L alone by itself - we took a pic of it (as best we could). I will email it to you in a few...will this be another good indication that I have a TRUE SS?