I hope -I think I have an TRUE '71 SS!!!!!

Capri's 71 SS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "L" looks like that...not sure if that is the "L" Leo was referring to or not.....

Next to TR you have 3 numbers - I cannot figure out what those mean...I've checked our Tech area & searched on line. I have a TR 707.......just curious.....

Sam: Thank you & that is exactly what is in there so it is correct! Where did you get the info? I tried so hard to find it!

EDIT: : Hey wait a minute....I have a bench seat! frown ..I found my 71 MC info that GM Sent me last week & found all them codes and read the same thing that it would be a bucket seat for code 707...I wonder if someone changed out my seat sometime in the past?? I guess I would have to assume so, huh? UH-OH, wait till I tell hubby I want an original bucket seat back in there! LOL! Let the search begin!! I may need a black bucket seat set & console!

Well checked and my Monte has the L on the tag. And by all other #'s gotta be a KC car too. Some day will have to all meet in KC ! What a great find you folks have! Enjoy your new toy and maybe in 2 years, will have mine ready to cruise. Maybe we can all get together for a roadtrip and some good ribs in Kansas City. That would be a fun trip. laugh Ron

well i do believe we have something here , to my understanding all 454Chevelles built at Kansas City had the letter L , now i have seen at least 5 71ss montes that have that L = 454 , now does anyone have a small block Kansas car with the letter L the ones i have here do not , leading me to believe that this means 454 engine installed = ss454 , if so i would add this to the 454 tech info section but i want to be sure

Leo

Leo--I will check my tag tonight as mine was built in KC. The original 350 c.i. 2 bbl small block is in the car. I will post tomorrow.

BTW---have you found the exhasust manifold "stove" part since I bought the rigid tube from you last year?? When we spoke, you were going to look. Let me know, I'm still interested for the piece. Maybe see you at the NMCOA meet in Cincy or FGMCC meet in Indy.

Wallaby: Just wanted to say I love your avatar pic - I grew up lovin' Speed Racer...only being a girl I used to play house & pretend I was Mrs. Speed Racer lol

I should probably start a new thread - as so much has come out of this original one but....

My husband is so miffed that the trim tag says 707 - cloth bucket seat for my Monte. The bench seat that is in there looks so darn original & everything appears untouched it is almost hard to believe. And did they change out the steering column when they put in the bench? Or was it ordered with a bucket seat but with the shifter on the column as it is today? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!! I left all kinds of messages on peoples answering machines today in KS & MO searching for the original owner. I sounded like a real nut job nutz !

I am sending for the vehicle & title history reports from Kansas BMV and going to try for MO but MO has some weird laws about releasing any info so I don't think I will have access to those....which is where the car started out, too.

My question now is: What years - makes model bucket seats will fit in my 71 Monte SS???? Swamp meet season is fast approaching & Greg will be on the hunt!

it could have came with that bench, you never know on the assembly lines back then, I would wait to see if you find a build sheet, unless you have the protect o plate, the mounts for the bucket seats and console should be there too if it did come with buckets

CHECK THIS OUT.....AFTER LEAVING MESSAGES FOR FOLKS ALL OVER KANSAS & MISSOURI...THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF MY MONTE CALLED ME TONIGHT!!!!!

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM - INCREDIBLE!!

HE COULD NOT BELIEVE HIS CAR WAS STILL IN EXISTANCE!

He was able to tell me that it is a TRUE 454SS!! That is what he ordered when he ordered it new!!!

laughlaughsmilesmile

I asked him about the front seat....well, he did order the car with bucket seats & center console which is what the trim code says. BUT....when the car came in, the shifter was on the steering wheel & there was no center console at all - just bucket seats. He was very unhappy & made them order in a bench seat so that the shifter & seat coordinated. So the dealer ordered a bench seat & when it came in, they took out the buckets! That is what happened! Some cool history for my very cool 454!! (I am giddy with excitement!).

I have since emailed him and asked him if he could send me a short letter (& sign it) telling me he ordered & bought it as a 454SS from the dealer & the story behind the bench seat. At least I will have documentation verifying what I truley have - esp since I have his name on the original dealer invoice from 1971.

I am overjoyed that there is no doubt about what I have. Oh, and the original owner did not have the car very long at all. He burned up 2 wiring harness in the 1st 6 months so he became frustrated with the car and sold it shortly thereafter. Whew, What a day!!! laugh

COOL Now you know it's a real SS laugh

When people ordered a car in 71 the bucket seats did not automatically come with the console. It had to be checked off on the order sheet, so if the salesman did not check off console the car would have had a collum shift and buckets. A friend of mine had a triple green car like that.

That is a very cool story. I can't believe the passion and enthusiasm you have in dealing with all this....I bet your husband is going crazy trying to keep up!

...realy neat that you were able to contact the original owner. cool

Yes, I do have just a lil enthusiasm wink Fortunately, my husband is enjoying every minute of it with me! We are having a blast with this & we have only had it for 72 hours! LOL!

OMG, I love how you have Speed jumping into the MC!! That is GREAT!!

I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight!

OMG, I love how you have Speed jumping into the MC!! That is GREAT!!

I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight!

Great story, MM. Congratulations on your cool find and welcome to the FGMCC! Just make sure that Spritle and Chim Chim aren't stowing away in the trunk before you go to bed and you should sleep just fine. wink

In '79 or '80 a friend of mine bought his first car, a 1970 Road Runner, from the original owner. It was bone stock and had never been modified in any way, and it had bucket seats with a column-shifted automatic transmission. Yup, consoles w/floor shifts were extra-cost options on them, too - as they were on many intermediate-sized cars of the era - even though they may have been ordered with the bucket seats. A fellow I used to work with had a '72 Monte Carlo and it was the same way as well.

But getting back to your car, can't you just hear Speed talking about it the way he did about the GRX?... "What a fabulous car. I must drive it." Enjoy!

Dave

In my disbelief of actually talking to the original owner I screwed up the story he told me :rolleyes: . He just emailed me a copy of the letter he is sending out to me. What happened was he ordered a bench seat but it arrived with the buckets...so he had them take out the buckets & put in the bench he really wanted. Sorry about messing that up!

I was all ready to book our room for the Eastern Meet but Greg thinks our 2 year old is going to make our few days unpleasant ones because of his age. He is an on-the-go kind of kid....(sigh)...He may be bored just hanging out with us. I don't know what to think. I may just book the room while it is still available and see what happens comes June-July.

Wow MM ... you've had quite an exciting 72 hours smile . He he

So cool to see so much enthusiasm for MCs!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

Leo--checked my numbers off the body tag last night. Here they are for your info.....

1972 Sport Coupe 350 c.i. 2 bbl 350TH

ST72 13057 K6993158DY

715 A52 43 GRNT

A0275

Car was built Leeds Plant, Kansas City, MO

I was all ready to book our room for the Eastern Meet but Greg thinks our 2 year old is going to make our few days unpleasant ones because of his age. He is an on-the-go kind of kid....(sigh)...He may be bored just hanging out with us. I don't know what to think. I may just book the room while it is still available and see what happens comes June-July.

Alex brought his two year old girl all the way out to Branson, MO for the FGMCC Meet. And she sure was an on-the-go girl as well... laugh

Here she is scoping out an alignment issue on Kevins Monte:

DCP00782.jpg

Remember, there will be non-stop drag racing on the track going on... smile

Now that I am comfortable in knowing what I truly have, I HAD to change my name and show that SS Pride! wink

You know what I love most about my car? It's that it is NOT a SHOW car so I can enjoy driving it & be relaxed without worrying about every little thing. I think that is the best! Greg is anxious to get the new tires for it but I need him to focus on replacing the water pump and finding the leak in the exhaust. I want to DRIVE!!

Hey, how do I know if I have a standard water pump or a heavy duty water pump?