70 Rear End Caput

ShckByte

Well my 70 MC's rear end finally died a few months back and I haven't the money yet to replace it, but will. Any suggestions on getting a rear end that won't break the bank. I'm located in Northern Virginia and would love to get her back on the road by Spring...as well as the other issues she seems to have with starting. Thanks.

This would be great, however, not knowing how to do most mechanical work since I'm an artist has been my downfall. Wouldn't even know where to begin is my problem in order to do what you have mentioned...and yes, this was what I wanted to do ever since it gave up the ghost. Thanks.

http://www.jdrace.com/

this member builds rear ends and is always selling on cl.

i believe he is a friend of leo koniks also.

check him out,he might have something all ready to go.

bob

Jim builds some good stuff and is a Moser dealer. He built me a 12 bolt around a Moser housing with Ford bolt in 33 spline axles with 1/2 screw in studs and an eaton trutrac and a TA recover. The rear has worked flawlessly. Highly recommend him.

David

Brian - which part of northern VA are you in? I am from Frederick, MD and I am planning on going down to Warsaw, VA for fenders from a 1971 Monte on Monday morning. I could ask about the rear end if you are interested.

Nice to know there's FGMC owners near DC Metro area smile

Rick

I managed to find a nice 10-bolt on Craigslist with a 2.67 ratio complete for $100. All I did was change the oil and put it in. Finding a good used complete rear is probably the cheapest way to replace a rear. There are two ads running right now on Craiglist for a 10-Bolt posi for $400 and a 12-bolt open for $500. Keep in mind that a BOP rear will also work. Good luck!!

Mike

ditto

I ended up finding a Moser 12 bolt with 3:55s with only 2k miles on it for $1500. I have seen GM 10 bolt's on CL between $200 - $400

buying a used rear axle is probably the cheapest and easiest

Putting in a 68-72 A-body 10 bolt would get you riding again, Do not know if yours is a 12 bolt or 10 bolt, but that would put you on the road, usually for $150 or less.

• 5 months later...