window crank

abe72

Hello,

I'm having trouble keeping the window crank (after market) on. It keeps slipping out, I've replaced the cranks a couple times thinking that would be the problem. Any ideas/suggestions that would help me.

Thank you,

Abe

Abe,

It sure sounds like the little horseshoe-shaped spring clip is either missing or not correctly installed in the slotted collar of your window crank(s). If they were on correctly you couldn't even pull the window crank off its shaft if you wanted to.

Actually, you should be able to pre-install the clip onto the collar (with the indents dropping into the slot openings) and then just press the window crank onto the splined actuator shaft. The indents of the clip should temporarily expand and then drop into place over the grooved end of the actuator shaft.

If that doesn't work for you, try positioning the horseshoe clip with the indents on the flats of the slot just barely at the edge of the slot openings. Then slide the window crank fully onto its actuator shaft and reach behind the gray washer with a flat blade screwdriver to press the clip onto the shaft so the indented ends drop into the retaining groove on the end of the actuator shaft.

Sorry, the only photo I seem to have of the clip is shown below being removed from its slot in the collar of a door handle. However, window cranks have the same slotted collar and use exactly the same clip in the same position.

708.jpg

Although you can't see the clip in this photo (it has just been removed), it goes in the slot on the window crank collar behind the gray plastic washer. It also fits inside the large coil spring you see in this photo. Sometimes these springs are also missing and that allows the window crank to flop around loosely even if the clip is correctly in place. If you want your window cranks to work smoothly and to stay in place, you will need a clip, a spring and a washer correctly installed for each crank. Good luck.

713.jpg

I don't know if this is relevant but to install a handle or crank,

1. Put the clip in place in the slot on the crank or handle.

(The open end of the clip should face the crank arm to the inside)

2. Hold it in position

3. Push them on together as a unit.

It's easier than searching all over for them after they fly out. LOL

Thank you guys for the help and suggestions. Tried last night and the clip wouldn't hold, so I went out and got a new clip and it seemed to do the trick. Guess the clip it came with wasn't a good fit.

713.jpg

Dennis, the spring should actually go behind the door panel, big end out. It's to push the panel out and not leave a gap between the panel and the handle. The plastic washer keeps the crank from wearing into the panel.

Dan

Good to know, Dan, thanks. I suppose that means you would have to put the spring on the shaft before you rehung the door panel. The photo was from an earlier project to replace my original door cranks and all but one of the original springs was missing. The other was installed as shown so I put it back that way. Fortunately, it became a moot point when I replaced the cranks with power window switches.

I had a bad experience using window cranks and washers from OPGI. In spite of their exaggerated claims of superior quality, neither the cranks nor the washers were made to factory specs and the fit and appearance were both poor. Now I have a whole set of "like new" window cranks if anybody wants them, just let me know. smile