replaceing the trunk floor.

bigscaht

ok here I go with more rust repair....there is a light at the end of the tunnel....i guess!!!

2013-05-13194336_zps3427da37.jpg

2013-05-14132242_zps693cdfeb.jpg

2013-05-13202051_zpsedc985ff.jpg

Only got the center piece..still waiting on the left side..and although the right side dosent need replaceing..I might jus do it cuz the rest of the floor will be new metal..but I dunno bout that yet....any tips or suggestions on this job????

Hey Scott, nice progress! I replaced the left panel a year ago, then using those scotch bright pads on the right angle air grinder, I stripped most of the entire floor. Surprising what you find under the paint. Anyway, then several coats of a quality primer and then trunk paint. Turned out great. I also POR15'd the underside since the tank was out. Good Luck!

Good progress Scott, glad to see your showing that snowball who the boss is. I would strip down both sides of the sheet metal that still looks good & see how clean it really is, then make your decision to replace the rest of it or not. If its good solid clean steel, I don't see any reason to cut it out & replace it too. Leave it be & less work for you. Just make sure you put plenty of corrosion resistant epoxy and/or direct to metal primer sealer on everything. Keep at it, your getting there! yay

ok so I made a patch piece for the lower wheel well..no need to buy a whole new one for this piece..

2013-05-15141328_zpsbd9bc7fa.jpg

2013-05-15134118_zps57c3fbed.jpg

might as well get all the rust while im in there!!

now jus gotta make a patch for that drop off..then I can get the floor in there! yeah I will most likely strip and clean the other side jus to be sure...then paint it all in epoxy black and undercoat it..put the gas tank back in!!!

Lucky you, your braces were good. Mine looked so awful I cut the whole thing out braces and all. I'm also making pieces to fix my inner and outer wheel well myself. Not gonna pay $100 for a wheel well I need 6" off, mine rusted where th trunk floor was up against it.

yeah I feel that..thats exactly where mine rusted at..no need to buy..that money can be used for other parts!

2013-05-17173343_zps398f9182.jpg

got it all welded in...time to paint it..seam seal it..then cover it wit some bedliner and be done with it!

• 2 weeks later...

started cutting..trimming and fitting the panels today..got the left side pretty much ready to weld now jus gotta get the center section trimmed to fit...

2013-06-05145142_zpseee5b2a0.jpg

2013-06-05145029_zps72b8ec52.jpg

glad Im off work this thursday..should be able to finish them up this week.....unless life gets in the way!!!!!

the difference between a good replacement trunk floor pan & a cheap one..

glad I dont need that top part!!

Surprising what you get sometimes isnt it? Yes, its a good thing you didnt need the the upper shocked

Looking good Scott keep up the fine work, looks like you know what your doing, excellent cutting & fitting, like a master fabricator. Now get your butt over here to Michigan & help me get my car together!!! lol

yes it is very surpriseing what you get when trying to save some money...no prob ill come out there to Michigan and help as long as its in the summer time..cuz yall winter is no joke..Us Cali folks aint use to that kinda weather....lol

Anyways got the left side welded in yesterday...jus gotta finish up the spot welds on the bottom and figure out how to get the center section in there since I cant stand in the big hole and work any more

2013-06-06193221_zps957e93c7.jpg

Moving right along..i can finally see the light at the end of the rust fighting tunnel...

• 2 weeks later...

its crazy the other thing you can find to repair when you can stand inside the trunk. I used part of the left side trunk floor replacement panel to repair this corner on the right side

2013-06-18122953_zps100d2a4c.jpg

and got the left side welded in..jus a few more spot welds on the bottom to do

2013-06-06193221_zps957e93c7.jpg

then before I put in the center section..im gonna paint the inner fenders and 2 side sections with some black epoxy primer and also the rear of the trunk where the latch is. gonna paint all that then close her up..

• 2 weeks later...

finally got it all finished up..the trunk is done.....

2013-07-02200334_zps4e2e5448.jpg

then a lil All Metal over the welds

2013-07-02210037_zpsbe6142f3.jpg

And then some black spray paint and

2013-07-03184905_zps897edf6f.jpg

Now I wanna get the splatter paint to give it the stock look.

Its funny how you can see the old metal on the right real good next to the new metal.....hahaha thats what carpet is for

Hi Scott....looks really nice....great job! Please post pics of it after it is splatter painted. Duplicolor makes a speckled trunk paint and that's what I used. It is a great product. I suggest several coats to seal it up well. After I was done spraying each coat, I placed a space heater on the ledge of the trunk facing inward and brought the trunk lid down to rest on top of the space heater. It helped to cure the paint well. smile

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Larry

• 1 month later...