REAR VIEW MIRROR MAP LIGHT

CKZ03

I was testing my R/V mirror map light before installing it in the car & it failed to function. Upon messing with it I could hear something rattling around inside, so of course with it not working it needed to come apart to see whats wrong with it. After removing the lens & shaking it around to see whats rattling inside it a little black piece of metal fell out, looks like a contact. Question is where does it go, Im hoping this is repairable, possibly solder it back into place? Im hoping someone has a picture of this attached to where it needs to be.

Check out the clarity of the mirror glass on this one.

IMG_20130601_142841_zpsc1415e78.jpg

b8083c9a-095a-4393-ba93-4f091656426a_zps

74878a03-fc37-4b09-aa72-63b4691853c8_zps

IMG_20130601_142908_zpsb8784ab4.jpg

Hey Cory, in a box somewhere in the storage garage where my Monte is stored I have a Map Light/Mirror assemby that I took apart sometime back. If I can locate that box, will attempt to find what you are inquiring about and see if I can snap a photo of it attached. Will advise tomorrow if search was successful.

Doug

Thanks Doug, that would be great if you could help me out here. Id really like this thing to work before installing it, hate to put in a non functioning part. Too bad cause its in perfect shape cosmetically.

Don't see that little L shaped piece in that pic, but its a little blurry, a little out of focus. Really appreciate the pic but I'm not seeing it. I'm not even sure it is a electrical contact, could be a part of the day/night mechanism. All I know is my light won't work & that piece fell out of the mirror. Yes the bulb is good smile I bench tested all the parts out of mirror, everything checks out. I'm guessing that part may have something to do with the slide mechanism to ground?

Does the lever for the day/night function still work? Are you sure it goes to the lamp assembly? From what I can remember your lamp assembly is complete without the "L" shape piece.

M2C

Yep, the day/night lever works fine. Im thinking this L shaped piece was bonded or sodered to the inner part of the mirror housing & when you slide the whole light assembly it makes the ground contact. So I dont think its part of the bulb assembly but possibly a piece that fell off internally, which is gonna be bad & probably near impossible to fix. cry2

But no sure yet hoping someone will figure out what this piece is yay

Thanks Doug, that would be great if you could help me out here. Id really like this thing to work before installing it, hate to put in a non functioning part. Too bad cause its in perfect shape cosmetically.

Went to the garage today Cory but wasn't able to get at all the boxes of misc. parts. The battery was totally depleted in the Monte and am not able to rectify that today. I'll tackle it tomorrow. Car is pretty well sandwiched in front to rear so getting around it without moving it further out is impossible. I'm getting a new battery tomorrow and charging the old one for a spare. Think I must have left driver door ajar last time I visited her. Could'nt find any other explanation for it!

I have some pic's of that Map/Mirror assembly apart but did not think of getting a pic of the inside of mirror housing at the time. mad You can never have enuff pic's!

As I remember it, the lead where it enters at the top of the mirror is always hot. When you slide the lower lamp switch, contact is made to that lead from the taller contact at the lamp. Is the upper lead hot? Are you sure both contacts lamp & lead meet? I had to make a minor adjustment on the taller lamp contact to get mine working a few years back. Even now it can be iffy in operation.

Just a thought.

I'll dig through those boxes tomorrow and take a pic if I find that piece attached to the internal mirror housing.

Doug

Doug, thanks for trying, too bad about the Monte battery frown . Really appreciate your efforts & looking forward to what you find for me smile

Hey Cory,

Went thru all my parts boxes today TWICE and was not able to find that map/mirror housing. Every piece is gone for it! I have looked thru these boxes so many times, organized, moved things around and each time that Map Light / Mirror would turn up.

I can't even imagine what happened that they are gone now. I will continue thinking and see if a bell goes off in my head.

Sorry I was'nt able to locate it but keep fingers crossed I will remember what I did with it. I was keeping it for parts!! mad

Doug

Thanks for your efforts Doug, I really appreciate taking the time to dig through your stuff. Sorry you couldnt find your mirror, Im having the same problems right now finding all the stuff too put back on my car lol I have stuff stashed all over the house & barn and have to look in a bunch of spots to find one thing everytime I go to get the next part. Fantastic organization skills I have, its all there just have to find it crazy

It may just have to go on anyhow, should have checked this out a long time ago. It can always be fixed or changed out later.

OOOOOH KAAAY, Im an idiot. blush I was so caught up in the piece that fell out of the mirror & wondering where it came from & what was its function, I didnt bother to stop & study how things really work. Turns out that L shaped black piece of metal must have been part of the internal guts/part of day night switch or something and absolutely nothing to do with the light. Once I got my head on straight & figured things out all I had to do was clean things up a bit, tighten the preload on the copper contacts, lube 'er up with some di electric grease, re install the light assembly and she works just fine. Sorry for the trouble here guys, & really appreciate everyone checking into things for me, you guys are great!

fgmcc

Definetly a brain fart fart , possibly alcohol induced stupidity, or just general idioacracy (that's a real condition I get sometimes) or a combination of all the above lol DUH...