Proper grease for poly bushings?

Hey, I'm looking to put on the new BMR parts today (if I can), so I'm wondering what the proper assembly grease is for poly bushings so I can check the local parts store for it. BMR's website gives you the option of ordering a 14oz tube of something, but they don't specify anywhere what it is other than 'grease'. Same for the installation instructions - they tell you to put in 3-4 pumps, or 5-6 depending on the part, but they only refer to it as grease. No specs, no descriptions. The closest I can find is they sell SuperLube on their site under the 2010-2013 Camaro section. I could call them and ask them directly, but they're closed on weekends. I'd rather not wait until Monday because I have some time this weekend that I want to take advantage of. I'll wait if I have to (doing it right is more important than doing it now, obviously), but if I can have both that would be great. laugh

Use silicone grease. Anything petroleum-based is questionable against plastics. I used a product from the auto parts store called "sil-glyde". It came in a 8oz tube, but a little goes a long way and one tube will do the job. The stuff is great for spark plug boots as well.

LINKY

Remember that the lube needs to go between the bushing and the inner sleeve. When the bushing gets torqued down, the inner sleeve gets clamped in and is held motionless...the bushing rotates around the sleeve.

Adding lubricant to the bolt hole through the center serves no purpose except to aid disassembly later.

I used silicone spray and sprayed the heck out of anything poly and it's been quiet for almost one year! I think I used to use WD-40 but that wasn't any good.

Bruce

When I did mine with a kit from PST, they provided a tube of a clear thick grease. Stickiest grease I have ever worked with but I don't know what it is called. If you call their tech help line they probably can tell you.

Good luck

Well, life happened and I got busy, so I was able to call BMR Monday. The guy I talked to echoed what y'all were saying: a synthetic grease because the petrol-based ones soften the poly bushings.

Here's what they sell/use: Super Lube BMR linky

Got the same stuff at NAPA for $10/tube, saved me $5 and from driving up to Seffner (about an hour from me and mostly open when I'm at work).

For some reason, I feel good about buying stuff from NAPA.

The stuff you got, is it in a tube or a grease gun cartridge?

Wow though...you gotta love their "snowflakes in a snowball" analogy.

• 1 month later...

Is there anything I can use to quite the squeaking from my front end? It started out minimal now it has gotten worse. I will eventually replace the bushings, but until then what has worked for you guys in the past.

Also, what type of bushings would you all recommend?

Thank you,

Abe

You should hear them when it gets cold here in Michigan. I spray the heck out of them all with silicone spray and I do believe it helps. Never heard anyone else but me admit they squeak. Mine are about 23 years old now.

Bruce

I had a "squeaky" front end in my car and wondered how I might get some kind of lubrication where the squeaking was. When I finally got around to rebuilding things, my original control arm bushings were completely shot and had started to work into the metal of the control arms. It would have been impossible to eliminate the squeaking without the replacement. Hope you have better luck than I did Abe.

• 2 weeks later...