Want to adjust height / Change springs

OK. I am not liking the "rake" of my small block 1971 as the front seems to be high. Just measured and here are the measurements from garage floor to fender well lip:

FRONT: 28" from floor to bottom of lip.

REAR: 25" from floor to bottom.

Rear springs may need to be replaced as they were last replaced in 1985, so there is some sag there, assuming.

On the front, how far off the floor does your Monte measure? If the front is too tall (which I think) what spring brings it down to a reasonable level? I replaced the fronts 14 years ago so obviously settling isn't an issue.

My front is at 28" and my rear is at 25 1/2" The rear has the AirLift bags in the springs though, so thats adjustable. I brought that back up at least 1-2" with the bags too. All my springs were Moog replacements for the stock ones in my car. Small block 71 just like yours. I am no help to you as far as the springs go, I have always thought mine was too high, but I will say that the air bags have made a nice difference in not only the rake of the car, but the ride is much more like I feel it should be, doesnt float around as much! It was an inexpensive solution, under 100 bucks and a very easy install

Mine measues 25 1/4" front and I think 26 1/2" rear.235/60/15 tires up front,cut coil (new) 1 1/2coils, smallblock springs.In the rear,new moog vari-rate spring with 275/60/15 tires.air shocks on it with 25 psi,so they work.

I'm similar to '420' Front is 26 1/4", all new bushings,

shocks,original springs with one ring cut off. (SBC350)

Rear measures 26 1/2" Cargo springs with a 1" spacer under the springs, air shocks with 25 lbs. She rides and looks good!

You can always drop a big block in it. That will lower it. All kidding aside, were the proper front springs installed back in 1985? It sounds like big block springs may have been installed at that time.

Yes......a big block............that will work

You can always drop a big block in it. That will lower it. All kidding aside, were the proper front springs installed back in 1985? It sounds like big block springs may have been installed at that time.

big block springs, small block springs, no such things...GM used 10 different sets of spring for 1970, all depending on what options were installed, which engine was installed

take your "big block" springs...

what do you think will happen if installed on one with air conditioning?

now put your "big block" springs one without air conditioning, and it will have a smaller radiator

do you think the ride height will be different? of course they will be different

there are sooo many variables with ride height, the only way you can get the ride height you! want for your! car is by experimentation!!!!

we all build our cars differently so there is no golden rule that works! eek

sorry!!!

Thanks for the measurement info. I'd like to get the front down 2 inches so 26 would be good. I may just cut a full coil of each front spring. When I replaced the front springs I ordered small block non-AC springs as I had taken the stuff off. Got them from JC Whitney, therefore my doubting they were the right ones. After taking more stuff off in the winter of 2012 and putting on aluminum heads, I think it went up more.

That's why I asked for the measurements. My goal is to get the front down about 2 inchs.

Thanks guys.

hi, I just installed rear new coils on my 72 with a big block, they were eaton springs . could not believe the difference in ride , raised the rear about 1 1\2 inches in the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I let a few lb's of air out of the rear shocks,so I now have 26" from the pavement to the top of each wheel well (front & rear) measured at the center of the wheel.

P7050134_zpsf5093043.jpgCan you also see my other modification?

I lowered the front of the lower trim behind the rear wheels. I dropped the front of the trim piece 1" and the rear trim mount has not changed. Notice how the bodyline is now more visible.......To me, it now transitions better with the center rocker trim. Granted, I'll never install skirts.