Was cowl induction an option on 70-72 454's ?

Hello all, we just purchased a 72 Monte, and have several interesting questions about the Gen 1's

When I was a teen and just getting into GM cars, I swear I saw a 70 or 71 Monte Carlo with a Chevelle-like factory cowl induction hood. Was this a option on the BB SS cars ?

Like he said, CI wasn't a Monte option, but there is at least one member of this club that has modified their Monte with a functioning cowl induction setup. Not an easy thing to do from what I understand, as it's not as simple as putting a Chevelle CI setup on a Monte.

That would be my 71. It was a lot of work to mate the two hood frames together but we got the job done. It did make for a heavy hood. I would say it was about 17 years ago that we did it. It would have been alot easier to just put the CI hood skin right on the Monte hood like others have but then it wouldn't work. We started with a new Chevelle CI hood from a dealer.

Paul Bell

• Like 1

Iceman has the working cowl Induction hood on his Monte. Many people in the club have seen his... It is a true work of art.

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a pic of my hood in the 2004 meet photos.

It sounds like Paul and I did things the same way. I started with an NOS Chevelle hood purchased about 100 feet East of the Club tent at the 2005 meet!

• 18 years later...
13 minutes ago, Robert said:

There is a repop cowl hood. Comes in both functional and non-fuctional. Closes place to me here in ontario wants $ 1700 (canadian) not including tax or shipping. 

Be careful with that one I've heard of people waiting a year and a half snd still don't have it. A couple guys got and said it fit good though.

Michael, So nice to see a picture of your Monte !! Just stunning in pictures and even nicer in person. Must be the wife in the background. I know a lot of changes since that shot. would like to see a newer version of it soon. Hopefully we'll see you in Carlisle '24.

• Like 4

Thanks so very much for the kind words !!

We too look forward to revealing the new version as well, however that might be a little while.  My mom's condition is not improving, as age has a way of changing our lives, hopefully we will have a few more years with her, however somewhat doubtful she will be able to hold on that much longer. 

Again, Thanks for the kind words and know that we miss each and everyone in our MONTE FAMILY !!   Hopefully someday we will all be together again !!!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 6:43 AM, Michael Boyte said:

Thanks so very much for the kind words !!

We too look forward to revealing the new version as well, however that might be a little while.  My mom's condition is not improving, as age has a way of changing our lives, hopefully we will have a few more years with her, however somewhat doubtful she will be able to hold on that much longer. 

Again, Thanks for the kind words and know that we miss each and everyone in our MONTE FAMILY !!   Hopefully someday we will all be together again !!!

Michael I wish nothing but the best for your mom and have so much respect for you stepping up to take care of her, I know it's not easy. As we always say family first for sure! We miss you and Ann but completely understand.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1