Oil Pan gasket?

Murphy

That's the same kit I have Cory....I'm going to follow their recommendations (I was going to do it anyway) and apply small amounts of silicone in the critical areas.......

The crank lobe pointing towards 8 o'clock in this pic, is that the same relationship to the counter-balance weights on the crankshaft? So if I turn the crank so this lobe is at 12 o'clock I should be in good position to remove the oil pan?

P2120184_zpse1d10de1.jpg

Replaced the oil pan gasket with the Felpro silicone gasket kit that included new bolts, today. Got my nephew to assist as he had a cherry picker to lift the motor a few inches as I was told that was necessary. Actually, after draining the oil (of course) and the radiator, disconnecting various lines (gas, coolant), removed the carb to install the lifting plate, loosened the radiator shroud, and got the motor mounts bolts out, we lifted about a half an inch and the pan came right out. I was a bit disappointed to discover that this motor is a 2-bolt main block. Was hoping it was a 4-bolt for future projects. ANyway, this gasket kit is really sweet.,we added a bit of RTV in the 4 corners of the main caps........hope that does the trick???

P2150185_zpse940b992.jpg

P2150191_zps18098767.jpg

Thoroughly cleaned the oil pan, no dents to speak of. Sanded and painted.

don't be disappointed with a 2 bolt main, from what I've learned the 2 bolt is actually stronger, some believe that some don't, if you ever go to a level where it is questionable, put a stud kit in it and be done with it

Sam you are correct. If it is a SBC 400, two bolt mains are DEFINITLY STRONGER. The webbing on a two bolt block is much thicker. And, unless you are turning over 6500 RPM constantly(race motor), its not going to matter anyhow. A 400 is a torque motor anyway, with TONS of possibilities grin Many improvements you can do to them. Personally , I de-stroke them. I have been building 400's for well over 30 years. I always look for 509 and 817 castings. I love 'em. cool

for a street engine, build a torque monster, where all the power is in by 5000 rpm, makes for a much more fun driving car, think about it...how often do you really spin your engine past 5000 RPM while cruising around? having that bottom end grunt for the way most of us use our cars is where it's at shifter

I built a monster engine but I love my 454 9.5:1 bottom feeder much better, the car is so much more fun to drive now