Oil Pan gasket?

Murphy

When I begin my 4-speed conversion, I planning on replacing the oil pan gasket, since I'm not planning to remove the engine (possibly jack it up some) should I use a 1 piece gasket? It obviously costs more, but thinking about installation might be easier......

FelPro is the way to go for the one piece gasket. The one I bought had 4 plastic alignment pins that screwed into the 4 corners of the engine to hold the gasket in place while I installed the oil pan.

I recently replaced my old dented oil pan cause it was leaking around the drain plug and it was ugly. I used the Felpro one piece and now it has a small/ very small drip at the bottom of the crank. In this case it's probable the installers fault. blush

• 4 months later...
That is definitely the way to go. You'll need to get the longer oil pan bolts as this gasket is thicker.

Looking things over in preparation for lifting the motor as I'm starting my 4-speed conversion, doesn't look like I have much play with the power steering hoses, how high am I going to need to lift the motor to remove the oil pan? And the oil pan bolts, what a half inch longer bolts?

I would try to find a stock original pan, the aftermarket one I bought, I had trouble with some of the bolt holes lining up, had to tweek! some of them

you will have to turn the crank so the counterweights are up to give you clearance to slide the pan back, having the flywheel/trans/starter out will help a bunch too

the oil pan bolts should only need to be a 1/4" longer

OK, I guess once I get the pan loose, crank positioned correctly, the height needed to get the pan out is apparently minimal. Also, I'm not replacing the pan, mine's in good shape, just need to paint it.

Correct, I realize that. My nephew has a cherry picker that he's bringing to help with this gasket replacement. I was going to loosen up the fan shroud vs the fan..........

When I bought the Felpro gasket last week at O'Rielley's another customer mentioned that I should use an RTV sealant also around the rear main seal area. What do you guys think?

I think that is excellent advise! The Rear Mains in particular are most problematic for leakage. Applying a good sealant on Main Seal contact surfaces greatly reduces risk. Just ensure all possible exits are covered & overlap joints. Perform same with Front Main Seals. Taking extra care will give you good security from future problems and follow instructions on sealant tube for best results.

Doug

Absolutely NOT. If you have a one piece Felpro oil pan gasket, you are NOT to use any sealant. I've done three of these installs and no leaks and I didn't use any RTV, etc. Even the instrustions/felpro state "no sealant".

Sealant on the rear main seal, of course, yes. Just nothing on the oil pan gasket. - Dave

Speaking of rear main seal, if it is old I would pull that rear cap and do it. I assume it is a two piece seal(pre '87). It will be right there, and so much easier with the trans out. If there is any age on it, now is the time!

These guys got me confused now. I'm about to do the same oil pan gasket change and some say use longer bolts and some say no silicone. My kit came with what I would guess are longer bolts included and the instructions say to use sealant in designated areas. Follow the instructions or what?

0F323F80-EF33-424B-BF6F-E452CD14DCD8_zps

2E1BE3BD-E3E7-456D-B2C7-4BCA7786A62D_zps

0F7450E6-2A8E-4AF2-9805-42CD90FA0E6F_zps

B3179550-E285-4169-BBB3-BB45482C93C8_zps