SS454 & sport mirror

ejw71

My 71 SS454 has one sport mirror. It looks unbalanced with just one mirror. Was a right side sport mirror an option? Thanks, Ed

I thought YOU were the authority on this stuff. wink

I actually saw a RH sport mirror on a Monte, but I can't remember where (maybe it was at the Western Meet?) I don't know if it came with the car or from some other source, though.

It sure looked like the right piece; it sat on the TOP of the door, not on the side.

Ed,

I've seen a couple Montes that have a passenger side, non-remote mirror, but my info says that while this wasn't an option from the factory, you could get it as a dealer accessory. I spoke to one owner about his car and he said he had taken a base model mirror for the driver's side and flipped it around somehow to use on the passenger side. Suffice to say it didn't look quite right when you compared it to the driver's side mirror, because he had flipped it around and the mount for the mirror is not centered on the mirror, (if that makes sense), but it did look pretty good if you're not nitpicking. I know that repros are made today of this style of mirror.

As for a passenger-side "sport" mirror, I'm not sure it was ever produced by GM at all. I'm assuming you're talking about the bullet-style mirrors that were painted the same color as the car? I'll see what I can find out and get back to you on this ...

~ Nate

Sorry guys but from the factory there was only a left side sport mirror. The same was true for the 71-72 Chevelles. For 1971 the mirror was an option and for 72's it came standard with the "Custom" package.

I've seen guy's modify a sport mirror to fit the right side but I have yet to see one with the correct angle.

As far as the chrome mirrors, from what I know, Chevrolet did not offer a right side mirror at all on the Monte. In some cases the dealer added the small chrome mirror to the right side. I've heard that a right side mirror is currently being made to match the left remote mirror but I'm not sure who's making it.

Steve

Has anyone found the right that matches the left REMOTE style yet? I remember one company was trying to produce it but with poor quality didn't release it. I called someone (can't find the company name) and asked them to let me and our club know because I felt we are very interested. I know I want one ASAP.

Bruce

I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I saw that RH sport mirror... I think it WAS at the Western Meet at the show in Penticton. I'm thinking that it was on the car that belonged to the nice guy that ran home and brought me a valve spring and saved my keister. Of course he was a local and not part of the club, but that mirror looked perfect.

I wished I had my camera that night as he wasn't at the show the next day. I was a little focused on my valve spring problem :rolleyes: and didn't get a chance to talk to him about the mirror.

I'm posting this in the hopes that maybe one of the other guys who was there will remember...

the sport mirrors were listed as an option in 71 but i have never seen on , i have 2 71ss cars with build sheets listing dual sport mirrors but they were never on the cars , my 2 cents is they were planned to have them but they ran into a production issue and were not available in 71 even when ordered , and yes they were used on the 72 custom so there are some out there , note also i have 2 72 customs without the rh mirror so all customs did not have both mirrors

Leo

As far as the chrome mirrors, from what I know, Chevrolet did not offer a right side mirror at all on the Monte. In some cases the dealer added the small chrome mirror to the right side. I've heard that a right side mirror is currently being made to match the left remote mirror but I'm not sure who's making it.

Steve

There was a sport mirror for the passenger-side used on the '72 Chevelle SS and the Monte Custom (I believe), so that may be an option for anyone who wants a passenger-side sport mirror. I would think the Chevelle mirror is the same as the driver's side sport mirror used on our Montes. Good luck on finding one, however -- I hear they're hard to find and generally expensive when you do. Did anyone ask Andreas where he got his?

72chevelle.jpg

As I mentioned before, I've got the passenger side chrome mirror as shown in my previous post. Neither the driver-side, nor passenger-side mirror are "remote", however. From what I've been able to find out, it was probably added at the dealership. Unlike the repop's being made today, I don't think it's the exact same as the driver's side, but rather an mirror opposite (pardon the pun).

In 23 years of building and owning First Generation Montes I have yet to see a right side (passanger side) sport or remote mirror. Even the brochure for the 72 Custom only shows a left one.

I don't and won't believe that Chevrolet offered them until I see one......so there wink

Steve

ive seen them and even held them in my hand , they have a base that only fits a monte door so i had a pair in my hands and both gaskets read monte carlo

Leo

From the factory, the sport mirror (bullet style) only came on the left side. Dual mirrors could be had but they were the chrome ones.

The Chevy Nova of the same years had the same angle and mounts for the kinda flat spot on the doorskin top as the FGMC's. Find a Nova right side sport mirror with the mounting bracket and correct spacer/gasket and you'll have your correct looking dual bullet mirrors.

I had done this like 20 something years ago.

Thanks guys for all the info. Think I'll get one off another GM product (even if I have to go FMC/DC) and file the base to fit the Monte door surface. Are the chrome ones the same shape as sport mirrors? If so, could just paint it. Ed

For anyone looking for the passenger side chrome mirror being repro'd to match the look & thickness of the drivers side chrome remote mirror here is the last I heard. Ausleys was in the process of reproing them. The first batch did not come out well in August 2004. I followed up with them in December and this is the response I got. Haven't followed up since. If anyone finds out let us know.

his response:

We will have a few this week call us

On Sunday, November 28, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Dan Ruland wrote:

Any sign of 'em? E.T.A?

To: "Dan Ruland" <danrul@msn.com>

Subject: Re: Repro Passenger side mirror ....any updates?

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:30:12 -0400

Yes, we expect them in a month or so

On Sunday, August 29, 2004, at 06:06 PM, Dan Ruland wrote:

I have heard from a few sources that you will be reproducing a passenger side mirror for Chevelles and Monte Carlos to match the remote mirror on drivers side. I understand yours will not be remote but will have a similiar look to the drivers side and same thickness.

Any truth to the rumors? If so when is the estimated time of availabilty?

Thanks, and by the way good decision b/c something like this has been needed for a long time. Good job.

Hope to hear good news,

Dan - '70 SS454 Monte

In 23 years of building and owning First Generation Montes I have yet to see a right side (passanger side) sport or remote mirror. Even the brochure for the 72 Custom only shows a left one.

I don't and won't believe that Chevrolet offered them until I see one......so there wink

Steve

I'm with ya, Steve!! laugh I haven't seen a passenger-side sport or remote mirror on a Monte either. The one on my car was a chrome, non-remote probably added after the car left the factory.

I spoke with Leo today and he's said that he has seen a passenger-side sport mirror, but it was apparently extremely rare. Might've been production issues that kept those mirrors from making it to very many Montes?

Anyway, thanks for all the input everyone. Good feedback! smile

Thr Right chrome to match the left remote mirror is available at Ausleys Pt. Number ROM702R $79.95 each. It is not in their ON LINE listing. My e-mail was answered Quote,

"yes 79.95"

I called today and got more information. The chrome was not good enough on the first run so they had more made. I hope these are good because I sure miss a mirror (never had one) on the right side.

I will report back when I get it.

Bruce

I don't think anyone who knows you would call you a liar Leo. You are a Monte god (note lower case, don't want to piss the real guy off..lol) but anyone can be mistaken (the only person in this world who thinks I'm perfect is my mother laugh ). I'm just saying that "I" have never seen one so you'd have to show me to make me a believer wink

My 2 cents...again

Steve

Sorry guys but from the factory there was only a left side sport mirror. The same was true for the 71-72 Chevelles. For 1971 the mirror was an option and for 72's it came standard with the "Custom" package.

I've seen guy's modify a sport mirror to fit the right side but I have yet to see one with the correct angle.

Steve

like this one which i used to own

a>

monte god thanks Steve , dont get me wrong i was joking more than serious , as i stated i have seen them and can tell original equipment from modified , i have been collecting montes for 29 years i have 4 montes here with lh sport mirror and have only seen a couple over this period that had the rh sport mirror

Leo