Dash replacement

Rock

Hi Guys, I am in the middle of a dash replacement with the SS dash and adding Tilt steering column into my 70 Monte and low and behold after removing the dash and steering column I have 43 years of added wiring,spliced in wiring and chopped wiring......does any one have some pics they can share with me of any wiring they did?

Would it be a good idea to purchase a new harness for adding the ss guage package or can I use what I have with little to no modification?

I will take some pics and post them.....I have a big concern about one harness inparticular that has been cut and spliced that troubles me and it has a plastic loom around it and I am pretty sure they didnt use plastic loom in 1970 so suspect someone added it.

Thanks for any help, Glen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get a new guage harness if it was up to me. My harness is also spliced in many place but my son in-law jamey ahs helped me get it fixed and we have elminated many many splices burt it has taken us two years to get to this point. We do a little bit each time we work on the 72. I should have rerplaced the harnes for the get go but was to tight with the purse strings(actually CFL was) LOL LOL

Hi Glen it is actually not an SS dash. The SS Montes also came with idiot lights. The gauge package was optional on all the FGMC's.

Here's a fresh one listed on Ebay right now that has been "gone over"....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-CHEVELLE-MO...S-/251390357306

I would get a new guage harness if it was up to me. My harness is also spliced in many place but my son in-law jamey ahs helped me get it fixed and we have elminated many many splices burt it has taken us two years to get to this point. We do a little bit each time we work on the 72. I should have rerplaced the harnes for the get go but was to tight with the purse strings(actually CFL was) LOL LOL

I was thinking about just replacing it....I see a refurbished one on ebay which includes the fuse box for $299.00. I may have to put out some more Benjamins..

I have the guage package ordered along with a harness the seller of the Guage package said would work for the mod of the new guage package but I am scepticle. My original dash and guages were all no good so decided to start from scratch.

That's your call on how bad it is chopped and spliced if you can put it back together and feel comfortable with it. The wiring kit that comes with the gauge conversion is added to the original wiring harness.

I may have to find some literature on the wiring.....its pretty bad!

It is under the pax side fender. Here is a picture as seen with the wheel and wheel well off. Always check the fuse first but failing that you can disconnect the power line (purple wire) and use a wire connected to the battery to see if that will wake it up. Good luck.

DSCN2860.JPG

Joe I agree with you. I find wiring more of a change over doing the easy stuff. When you get the new harness lay it out for a few days as that will make it easier to get in the right place in the car. Since you are going with the tach style dash you might have to change the engine bay harness as well. If you use the current harness you will need to move some wires around in the plug so it works correctly. If your harness hasn't been replace look it over really good for an broken or splice wires.

Never been there but I did walk a guy though on rewiring his car from the core support to the rear lights by instant message lol. Just do one spot at a time Rock and you will be good to go, and if you do the original style harness its just unplug and plug and your done. The harness I did was single wire which had to get the ends clip on.