Dash replacement

Rock

We got the tilt steering column in and all the extra bs wiring removed. We have some wiring we are unsure about but I ordered a manual for this problem. The Guages package,radio and LED should be here next week.progress is slow but sure. I will post pics when I get them up on photo bucket.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wires are so confusing

Not if you have a spaghettiagram or is it a diagram?

I know oh too well what your dealing with...sooo much fun! lol

IMG_20130207_212240_zps8a703e5a.jpg

IMG_20130602_184502_zpsb137c8af.jpg

IMG_20130207_212402_zps35d5aa24.jpg

IMG_20130207_212419_zps711abce3.jpg

IMG_20130207_212428_zpsd9eb3dea.jpg

IMG_20130207_212441_zpsb7922be0.jpg

IMG_20130210_173304_zpsd5596908.jpg

DSC00694_zps7f1798b4.jpg

The wiring we were dealing with... a lot of added splices and crimps.

DSC00693_zps5b3e96c7.jpg

crimp at the brake switch???

DSC00692_zpsf65f6716.jpg

we figured this to me the stock speaker wires and power . It was removed.

DSC00691_zpscaf645aa.jpg

the new tilt steering column going in.

DSC00695_zps0c81eed1.jpg

the new column in.....so excited for the small improvement!!

DSC00696_zps6346c040.jpg

close up.

I really liked this one and hated to get rid of it, but it stuck out into my chest too much.

chaindriven_zps35401ee9.jpg

Decided to go with a more "flatter" wheel & this one worked out much better lol

Ships-Wheel_zps4d60f8b7.jpg

DSC00694_zps7f1798b4.jpg

DSC00692_zpsf65f6716.jpg

That's the same kinda mess I was dealing with, amazing what gets altered/butchered/modified after 40 years. I decided it would be best to throw it all away & start over with new. A lot of work, but well worth it, especially for piece of mind (ie. electrical fire) no

I really liked this one and hated to get rid of it, but it stuck out into my chest too much.

chaindriven_zps35401ee9.jpg

Decided to go with a more "flatter" wheel & this one worked out much better lol

Ships-Wheel_zps4d60f8b7.jpg

What's funny is my son just described that same chain link steering wheel. kickingkicking I think not...and I pass on sponge Bob steering wheel also! kicking

On a more serious note, this is what I currently have but it does stick out too much into my chest. Just bought a standard 4 spoke wheel which is much flatter and will be changing out wheels before spring.

This one is a repro and is dished to much @ 3.5 inches, doesn't look like it in the pics but it is. Its a cheaper Grant wheel and wouldn't recommend it.

IMG_20130618_005128_zps970452b1.jpg

On a more serious note, this is what I currently have but it does stick out too much into my chest. Just bought a standard 4 spoke wheel which is much flatter and will be changing out wheels before spring.

This one is a repro and is dished to much @ 3.5 inches, doesn't look like it in the pics but it is. Its a cheaper Grant wheel and wouldn't recommend it.

IMG_20130618_005128_zps970452b1.jpg

That is the look I am going for... I have the wood grain dash piece but dont think i am going to add it..... I will stick with the Chevelle SS look in the Monte. I was debating between the black rapped 3 spoke and the wood grain 3 spoke...just not sure which way to go!

I went with the 3spoke wheel myself in my 70. I though about going rosewood 3 spoke but didn't think it would work with the wood gain on the dash. Glenn don't let Cory's picture of his wiring get to you. The harness Cory used is the same one as mine American Auto Wire classic fit with newer style fuse but you get to put all the ends on the wires, it's a good kit if you don't mind the price for it.

Glenn don't let Cory's picture of his wiring get to you. The harness Cory used is the same one as mine American Auto Wire classic fit with newer style fuse but you get to put all the ends on the wires , it's a good kit if you don't mind the price for it.

AAW's kit is very nice, you don't have to put ALL terminations on the wires but most of them. The dash harness is pretty much pre wired which makes things a lot easier. The only thing you should have to termiate there is connectors/pins for the appropriate style gauge set you will be using, quite easy regardless.

I don't think you need to buy the whole kit they offer for $550ish if you don't need to. Pretty sure you can buy individual harnesses from AAW and other vendors too. If you go with the AAW dash harness Im pretty sure you will need/should to go with the complete underhood kit (engine/lighting) as well. May as well then you know everything is wired correctly for your application, plus you get the modern fuse box upgrade smile Maybe do some research on harness options for your needs.

M&H harness is different than the AAW harness,

it is a stock reproduction with all the correct ends, clips and everthing, they can also be ordered custom example....wiring to the distributor change to 12volt from the stock resistor wire, or wired for a different alternator

M&H harness is different than the AAW harness,

it is a stock reproduction with all the correct ends, clips and everthing, they can also be ordered custom example....wiring to the distributor change to 12volt from the stock resistor wire, or wired for a different alternator

AAW is the same way. My Front Under hood harness came from AAW and was fitted for an HEI And int/reg alt. I ordered mine from Classic Muscle.

more goodies showed up today.....wont be long and I will have a dash back in the Monte!!

dash_zpsd8128b51.jpg

console1_zps90253e20.jpg

dash2_zps73ff5add.jpg

dash1_zps9fba5853.jpg

console2_zpsb5296856.jpg

Anyone know how to replace the center vents?

The case looks to be glued together pretty good and I dont want to break it trying to replace them.