Replacement radiator

Shnalla

Hi,

I am looking for a replacement radiator.

I was told copper is better than aluminium for street use. Do you agree ?

Any recommendation ?

Hi Romain,

It is a subject that will likely get you several different opinions.

Personally, I prefer the aluminum over the copper. It is lighter and in my opinion displaces the heat more efficiently.

That being said, a good free flowing cooling system, proper anti-freeze mix and pressure cap will get you good results either way.

What makes you want to replace radiator?

Doug

If you do decide to replace the radiator champion radiators are a good way to go I have a 3 row aluminum radiator that cools up to 1000 hp its on sale now for 209.98 no leaks never has gotten above 180. grin

ditto

I went with the same number row and brand and couldn't be happier, especially for the money. No issues and never above 185 deg even with an outside temp of 98 deg down here in Florida.

Mike

Thank you for your answers ! Actually my radiator is leaking. I never had issues before.

I have found someone who sell a summit dual row radiator and an electric fan at a good price here wink

Try a local rad repair shop. They can recore it using your tanks.

Bruce

I just bought a 3 rows copper radiator from Rockauto a new thermostat (190°) and a radiator cap... "Everything is gonna be allright" smile

Rather than make a new thread, thought I'd post my problem here... Drove the Monte out to a family function, about 35 or 40 miles. On the trip out, she ran like a top, heater and everything else worked. On the way back, she started running rough between exits, and I got the oh so enjoyable smell of coolant cooking off the headers. Pull off to the side, she was smoking up a storm and the radiator was bone dry, after I just checked it before leaving. Is it possible that something in the system could have vibrated loose and plugged the cooling ports, and caused it to overheat?

check radiator and heater hoses and make sure clamps are tight and that there are not any splits or pinholes in the hoses. Check your radiator cap to make sure it is working properly and is sealing and not blowing coolant from the neck.

If you can borrow a coolant pressure tester fill up the rad with water and pressurize the system. Also look for leaks at the water pump.

Check dipstick and make sure it doesn't have water in the oil(milky looking). That would indicate a cracked head or head gasket issue. That would be the worse case situation.

David

If it's a cracked head, I'm boned... On the plus side, if it's a cracked head, that gives me an excuse to get better flowing aluminum heads, and cam it.

Always think positive, right?

Yeah... probably do it tomorrow night/monday after work. Too bummed to look at it right now, you know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I did a quick search.

My '70 radiator was leaking so I took it to a radiator shop to get it checked out. After he checked it out, he said he couldn't fix it, too old and in too bad of condition. His recommendation was a plastic/aluminum radiator as a replacement, he runs them in his dirt track car, says it's lighter, cools better and won't rust. He gave me a price of $240(+ tax), so I thought I'd check into it and ran across this thread.

So the Champion radiator just drops right in, nothing has to be changed on the car?

The huge original shroud bolts right onto it?

Paintable? I'd prefer black.

Then there is this one, a little less cash and already black.

RockAuto Rad

Any opinions other than the Champion is a good one to go with?

I'm not looking to keep the car original or all stock so that isn't an issue.

Thanks.

I ordered a Champion radiator, should have it by the weekend.

It may be a knucklehead question but I would like to know the direction of the coolant flow, which I can't seem to find the answer to yet.

Does the coolant flow from the top of the rad into the intake manifold or from the bottom of the rad into the water pump?

Thanks.

Pretty sure it flows from the bottom... its why you're still able to get coolant flow when its low. Corse i could b wrong, but thats my guess.

Sounds like the water pump pulls from the bottom of the radiator.

Thanks for the help.

I've pulled out the t-stat and have a new radiator on the way, so I thought I'd flush the system with the garden hose. Just wanted to ensure I was running the water in the right direction.

Is one way any better than the other?

I just want to get as much crap out of there as I can before I install the new radiator.

I figured I'd start the car, turn on the heater and then turn on the hose, catch it coming out the other side.

pull the plugs on each side of the block just above the oil pan, you'll probably have to root around with a screw driver to knock some of the rust out, best way to flush a block

pull the plugs on each side of the block just above the oil pan, you'll probably have to root around with a screw driver to knock some of the rust out, best way to flush a block

Yea, I wouldn't have thought that was an option, good info.

I'm assuming if I can get the plugs out, it's no big deal getting them back in?