Pinion shaft won't come out ..

Mike Brichta

Ok, I have a 70 El Camino with a 12-bolt posi rear and I would like to replace the rear axle bearings because they are making some noise.

I have removed the housing cover and I have removed the pinion lock bolt but the pinion shaft will not come out. It moves freely in both directions about 1/4" but won't come out. I tried tapping on it from both sides but it won't budge. I also noticed that the ends of the shaft look different. Is there a top and bottom of the shaft? Does it only come out in 1 direction? My project has now come to a screeching halt.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike

Check and see if the nub on the end broke off i've seen that happen. Check length against new one if you have one. If thats the case you may or may not be able to wiggle it out useing an

magnet on a screw driver or thin punch. I had one that I actually had to cut a section on the pin out to get the peice out. Good luck with it.

I wonder what would make the end of the bolt break off. More importantly, how do I get the end of the bolt out? I guess I will have to play around with the shaft and see if I can somehow get the broken piece to move enough so I can get the shaft out. I don't have another lock bolt to compare the length so I guess I will just assume that there is part of it still in there which would cause the problem. In other words, the shaft should just easily slide out once the lock bolt is removed, correct? And I should not have to "tap" it out, correct?

Thanks!!

Mike

if the end of the lock bolt was broke off in the pin, you wouldn't be able to move the pin at all

I have had to "tap" on the pin to get it out, if it has worn, if could have a ridge and if it does you should that a closer look at the spider gears and the disc washers under the gears

can you post a picture of your lock bolt? by some of us looking at it we should be able to tell if it broke off

I had that bolt break on my one of my old pickups. The tech had a long drill and long easy out and removed it without any trouble but they were specialty tools he bought off of a MATCO toll truck.

Like Sam said if the shaft of the lock bolt was broken you should not be able to turn it at all. You should be able to compare the bolt by putting it up by the case and see if it looks like it goes past the pin.

I wonder if the gears galled and ridged the shaft at one time.

Well it looks like there is definitely something wrong with the end of the lock bolt. Here is what I was able to observe:

- the end of the bolt is concave

- the bolt is just long enough to reach the side of the shaft

- the shaft moves up and down easily about 1/4" in each direction

- the shaft spins (or turns) in either direction

- I hit the shaft with a punch and hammer but it did not come out

Here is the link to some pics I took:

http://s477.photobucket.com/user/packard...374544482146107

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Mike

that bolt is definitely broke

you can try to line the the pin and use a thin magnet to try to pull out the broken off piece

you can see the pin has been turning, or!!!!

trying pushing the broken piece into the pin then try to remove the pin

I already tried to use a magnet to remove the broken piece but it didn't come out. Is there any way to know when the piece is lined up with the bolt hole? Since the shaft turns I'm not sure when it is lined up. The shaft appears to have (2) flat spots on it. Where are they supposed to be when the shaft is correctly lined up? My next thought would be to try to drive the broken piece into the shaft. But I would have to have it lined up first. How far does the bolt go into the shaft?

Thanks!!

Mike

Pinion Shaft Update: Good news and Bad News .. You tell me.

Well after much cursing, hammering, etc. I finally got the pinion shaft out without breaking anything.

Good News: Pinion Shaft is out !!!

Bad News: Pinion shaft looks like crap !!!

See (4) new pics at:

http://s477.photobucket.com/user/packard36/library/Pinion%20Shaft?sort=3&page=1

After seeing how badly the pinion shaft is scored and damaged I am thinking that the rear is toast and that I need to rebuild the rear. I never had a rear apart like this so you tell me what you would do.

Thanks!!

Mike

I really don't know much about the other internal parts of the rear but it looks like the spider gears have lots of play and appear to be worn around where the pinion shaft was. I'm just not experienced enough in this area to selectively replace some of the internal parts and have enough confidence to pound the crap out of it when done. That just wouldn't be fun now would it?

At this pint I am planning to pull the rear this weekend and take it to the area "rear expert" and see what they tell me. I'm expecting to hear that I need to replace lots of things. They completely did my 72 12-bolt about 7 years ago and recommended replacing everything (posi, axles, bearings, seals, etc.) for around $1,100. It has worked great since then.

I'm not sure I have any other option at this time.