Oil pressure light....help!

Rock

Took the Monte out for one final rip before the snow flies and got about 5 miles out and the oil press. Light came on, pulled over and made sure I Had oil which I did...plump full. So I shut it down and checked the sensor connection which is fine. When I turn the key to run the light comes on as it should , I turn it over and it starts and the light goes off for about 5-10 seconds then comes back on. Could it be a bad sensor or low oil press? What is the best way to check? If the sensor checks out OK than how hard is it to change the oil pump without pulling the motor? Any help here is appreciated.

• Like 1

At idle  at least 10Lbs hot when cold 40-60 lbs. Did you ck sending unit wire to make sure its not touching anything metal ground? melted etc all gauges work to ground if the wire is touching ground anywhere it will light the indicator light.

The motor runs great....no unusual noises or anything. If I had a bare wire to ground I would think it would be on constantly which it doesn't. Acts normal on initial start up turns off then back on a few seconds later. I think I will change oil and filter and see what happens. I think I am using 5W30 oil....is that to thick?

I would stick a gauge on it just to be sure. A stock small block with a stock pump is about 40lbs.

If that is a stock engine without a rebuild for modern clearances 5-30 might be light

• Like 1

I think the local parts store rents gauges and I will check it out tomorrow. ...fingers crossed it isn't something serious. Of course it would give me an excuse to spend some money.......I really want a BB 402 or 454....

I would stick a gauge on it just to be sure. A stock small block with a stock pump is about 40lbs.

If that is a stock engine without a rebuild for modern clearances 5-30 might be light

It's a crate motor with about 10,000 miles on it.I believe it was a short block that reused the original cam and lifters.

Just an update.....I tested oil pressure and had 42 psi so I assumed this was good (thank god) so I replaced the switch and repaired the connector and no more oil light....thanks for the help. Heading out for a late fall cruise with the wife.

I think original specs on a 350 was 10W-30 but with the age of the engine, like Mike said, I run 10W-40 in my 350 with 53,000 miles on

it (unrebuilt).

Rob