Dash pad clips

Leghome

I believe mine (1971) just push in. One or more of mine no longer stay in place however.

I don't have any screws going into the clips at all but these screws look like the ones that go into the pad through the glove box opening and the top of the cluster area through the wood grain.

Bruce

I've had the clips fall away and down into the firewall area when removing the pad. I like to install the clips onto the pad and then put some good, wide tape over the base of them.

Dan

My dash pad must be an aftermarket one. There are no tabs on my pad. The so called clips on my pad are Z shaped pcs. of metal that the previous owner screwed onto the bottom of the pad and two of them fell off when I re installed when put it back in and the screws are stripped out over the dash cluster so I am trying to figure out how to go about fixing that problem. 

Larry,

Regarding repairing the screw holes so the stripped out holes can still be used.  There are many ways of doing this.  One of my screw holes was also stripped out and this is how I repaired it.

Withe the dash pad laying upside down take some wooden toothpicks (they can be the round or flat toothpicks it really doesn't matter) Stick the toothpick down into the hole until it stops and break it off flush with the surface.You can keep filling and breaking each hole, leaving some room in the hole.  Once the hole is somewhat filled with the broken off toothpicks take them back out and squeeze some glue and then refill the hole with the toothpicks and let the glue set up.  Once it is dry you can drill a very small pilot hole into the center of the repaired hole to give the screw a guide when you try to start it.  I use this procedure to fix many screw holes in wood and plastic and it works very well.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The dash pad clips arrived today. It is going to be a challenge to affix them to the dash pad me thinks. I am going to pull the dash pad tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Maybe some kind of glue that is used in body shops to glue panels onto cars or some thing not yet thought of. After Market dash pad looks pretty nice but attaching can be a pain in the arse for sure.

My pad is original and there are slots in which the clips slid into. A couple of these slots are a bit sloppy, I mean that the clips don't stay in place. Probably due to age of the pad. The first time I removed the pad only the outside clips were in place but I found the others laying on the duct work behind the dash. That's when I silicone them in place on the pad, I've removed the pad several times since with no issues and no lost clips.........