This brings back memories!

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Remember the Oil Embargo of 73?  Just perusing the Web and came across this photo.  Yep, pretty much how it looked all across the Country.  As I was looking at the pic, something caught my eye.   Can you see it?

Doug

post-458-0-16780900-1437985920_thumb.jpg

I remember it well! I remember one station that would only allow $3.00 max. I never really had any problems or long lines like this.

My dad worked for a company that sold Sinclair and then at this time, ARCO gasoline and oil. He got a call one night asking to allow the refinery / distributor to let them fill his huge tanks with gasoline, because they ran out of storage space! Talk about a scam.

Back in that era, I filled my Monte every Friday night for $8.00. Good times! (My wife and I also had Prime Rib dinners with all you can eat salad bar for $7.07 TOTAL!)

Bruce

• Like 1

Yeah, some tough times for people! :cry:  After the initial chaos in our State, we went to an odd / even year of car registration to decide what day you could purchase fuel and even then was uneven.

Back then I really enjoyed getting out in the wilderness and trail ride my dirt bike.  We sat up a weekend but my friends truck did not have the gas we would need to get the bikes out there and back.  The evening prior I used my Oklahoma credit card and started syphoning gas out of my car so we could make the trip.  A County Sheriff was cruising down the street, slowed down, drove around the block and pulled in behind me while I was doing the deed.  He asked what I was doing and I explained it to him.  Had to show him my ID, vehicle papers, start the engine and proof that I lived where I said I did to convince him I was not stealing it.  (Good Times)

I think your right Vaughn, my eyes are not as good as once were, but that was my suspicion also. a 72 Monte.

I remember filling my gas tank for $3.00 Bruce.  At that time I was not sophisticated enough to know what Prime Rib was.  Any extra money I or my friends had usually went into the gas tank.  Back then I was a road warrior that loved every excuse to be driving somewhere.  That oil embargo really made me having to walk more often that I cared to or simply stay home.

Doug

I remember gas for $0.19 Gal summer of 71 when I just got my Monte. Only lasted for a day or two. ARCO

Now that's good times!

Bruce

Could you imagine the Chaos in todays world if this same event took place? Ever watch the Documentary that came out back in 2006 or 07 called "'oil Storm". It was a realistic fiction documentary that basically spilled out the chaos. Funny thing in 2008, it actually hit over half of the price that was in the documentary. In the movie/documentary it hit over $8 a gallon, gas stations started to disappear across the country. It was very interesting, I would like to see it again, but watching it made my spine crawl.