Convertible 72

Yeah that back rear 1/4 line is just not right. The buick rear 1/4 is just the same and too high, I always thought that like on mine the 70 chevelle convertible had the right lines....... man at $25gs he is really wishing huge........I got mine for less than that.

Darren.

2012_0909montecarlo0003.jpg

2012_0821montecarlo0003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not rip on this Convertible too much...1) The design and classic proportions of the 1st gen Monte lends itself extremely well to the understated (Gentleman's) Muscle car, Bad-A*s-tricked-out muscle car, and Luxo-Cruiser in the classic styles of, say, the 50's & 60s Caddys, especially with skirts! I dare say that this "high-quarter-panel-kick-up" has the flavor of the 1953 Motorama Buick Skylark or even the Jag XK-120/140 (when I blurr my eyes a bit). The "Quarter-panel-kick-up" may be back just a bit too far from the Monte's side scallop/bulge vertical-to-horizontal transition radius, in some eyes. but it is a rear-seat car and not a two-place car.  2) Based on the painting of a Monte ragtop in the 1970 Chevy accessories catalog, Darren's "Chevelle-based" convertible is probably what Chevrolet would have (should have!) produced. {Darren; Yours is sweet and I love the elegant colour!} 3) With the price of Chevelles, try finding a ragtop donor car at an acceptable price. Skylarks and Cutlasses are a cheaper alternative.  4) Based only on the two photos, the important "blending" of the original Monte "side-scallop-bulge" up to the pinch-weld chrome seems pretty good. I dare say a bit better than my Skylark based conversion.  5) The seemingly high asking price is debatable, considering the existing paint, but if the conversion work is done correctly under the skin it may not be that far off. Consider too,  the cost of a decent Monte to start with, a "complete" donor car (Note: the convertible rear seat is narrower", too), Shop time, reworked top frame and new convertible top. I'll bet $17,000 CASH would take it. 6) I'll bet Darren would agree, but there is nothing like pulling into a car show in a stately Monte with the top down, Sanatra on the radio, and all eyes upon you in awe and wonderment...I'm ready for Summer!!!