4 spd console

John S

Has anyone installed a reproduction 4 spd console , and if you have how did it fit? Would you have pictures I could see. Considering  changing the shifter hump, buying rear mount and installing console. If someone has done this let me know how it worked for you.

John S

Right the base is the same I was curious as to how a repop fit. Originals are hard to find even a decent console base . Found one in Shelby NC but looked like it was removed with baseball bat.

John S

After talking with several folks who do interiors for a living, they do not recommend a reproduction console at all. They are much more flimsy than the originals. One guy even repairs broken mounts on the originals.

Right now I have 2 bases, both need some mounting repair, a new lid, and back plate. I see you are near Atlanta, I'm in Anderson, SC about 2 hours from you.  I'd take $100 on either of them, for the base. The console area is intact, its the other mounting areas that are damaged or missing.

I repaired my broken mounting parts with a peice of sheet metal bent and drilled to match where it mounted. Attached it to the console with small bolts. Works pretty good and the console is very soild as before it was not. The guy I got the car from used a peice of that all hole banding material that was way to thin.

they sell the wood grain aftermarket too, I just sold a top plate and wood grain for a monte

The console I bought is original automatic in great shape the mounts are solid by the pictures. I would like some advice as to which would be better. I found an original 4 spd top plate from 70 chevelle. Is it better to put the adhesive wood grain on an original top or get aftermarket Monte top plate.

John S

the 4 speed base is the same as an automatic , there is an enternal plastic insert and boot and metal retainer ring that is required for the 4 speed console

the reproduction consoles are good we sell and use them

gm original consoles we also have many in great shape as well  ,  the door and back plate seem to fit a bit better than repo and grain is better

i will check the thickness of the repo vs original

i recently measured an aftermarket rear bumper for a customer and found it to be .012 thicker than original gm so you never know the truth until you verify it with logic

Leo

Just replace the decal with a monte one. There are two different woodgrain designs I've seen,I think trim parts sells the correct one, I was in Virginia at a parts dealer and they had the correct Burlwood decal on display.

Yea it was I couldn't think of the name, good guy there. I bought some used parts from him. Mike boyt took me on a neat little adventure up there about a month ago.

• 1 month later...

Got the console, harness, and rear mounting bracket all originals from Leo0 @ Koniks Klassiks. Did a quick trial fit, very impressed with the parts and Leo's vast knowledge. I think I posted in wrong topic the first time.

John Spost-1221-0-79087800-1452132623_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-93141900-1452132638_thumb.jpgpost-1221-0-87248700-1452132658_thumb.jpg