Header Gasket - check ?

snomobeelr

Stupid question. Going to check the header gaskets.  Do I just remove all but the bolts from the header to the head exempt the two ends to slide the gasket out. Or should I loosen the collector bolts   1st so theres no tension on the header?

Thanks

Its an X-Pipe. When driving it I had a ticking sound that mostly went away when she warmed up but I could still hear it. Its either the Rocker/Lifters or an Exhaust leak. Since she'll be in storage for a couple months I thought I'd Pull the gaskets to see if there was leakage. Im checking the Head to header Gasket.

My 72 has copper header gaskets and both ends are slotted with the middle holes being solid. I can take out the center bolts and just loosen the ends bolts to take the gasket out. Sure does make it easier to reinstall.

You may want to check it with a peice of vacuum hose to know for sure if its leaking. Tape a couple foot of vacuum hose to something like a peice of welding rod or something hold one end where you think the leak is and the other in your ear, that will tell you for sure if its leaking. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

I ended up getting a set of Earls Header gasket on amazon. Is there a difference in gasket type/material and Steel or Aluminum Head ? Question , even though I marked the gaskets when I took them off, Im not sure. Can someone tell me if this is how it should be going back in with the low side bolt to the front of the engine ?  Thanks 

post-44-0-13477600-1453607090_thumb.jpg