Stereo choice?

overdrive

I have an uncut dash in my '70 SS and plan to keep it that way. Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the original AM/FM radio? I'll be replacing the speakers, too.

Dan

Currently I have an am/fm cassette that fit without cutting anything. It has been installed since the mid 80's and still works perfectly.

post-791-0-30390700-1455069079_thumb.jpg

I am considering changing it to one of these reproductions though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-Chevelle-AM-FM-Stereo-Radio-1971-1972-/300417203478?hash=item45f242bd16:m:mw5LvGzT_iKnLE6pqMXlSxg&vxp=mtr

I bought this off EBay, it's supposed to be a lookalike but with all the modern features. I really like it. You can get it with a disc player or hook up your phone or iPod. I opted out of the disc player since everything I need is on my phone. It sounds awesome and have had 0 problems with it. I think it's model 630 but if you are interested I can get you more info.

post-1188-0-96463900-1455072018_thumb.jpeg

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-Monte-Carlo-Stereo-Radio-w-Switch-Back-AM-Dial-See-Inside-630DF-/161522528501?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-Monte-Carlo-Bluetooth-Stereo-Radio-USB-Aux-Switch-Back-AM-Dial-630DFB-/151876549472?nav=SEARCH

If you want Bluetooth.

I also added component speakers in the front. I put the tweeters in the dash and the woofers in the kick panels. The base is low and the highs are high like they should be..

• Like 1

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=426&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67

If you want an EXACT 99% Radio, you will have to buy the $550 one from Vintage Auto Radio, they even make an identical 57 Wonderbar Radio with all modern features.

I have this one and I love it. I can play my cell phone and I think you can get a Blue Tooth as well for extra. I also got my speakers from them, but on the drivers side there is a clearance issue.

I purchased a standard Alpine stereo for my 70 and mounted it under the dash pad on top of the glove box. It is completely hidden. It is mounted on a downward angle so the face is accessible laying on my back looking up under the dash if I need to do any setup (Bass, treb, bluetooth, etc). Now that it is set up I never need to touch it. I simply control it with a remote. The unit requires line of sight to work so I installed an RF extension. The RF extension has a very small end that receives the remote signal which I mounted in the lower heat vent on top of the trans hump and blends right in. The other end of the RF extension is stuck to the face plate to transmit the signal to the unit. The remote works great. I also installed the microphone in the car for hands free calling and is well hidden. I drive this car daily to work in the summer months and it all works quite well. If you looked at my interior, it appears completely stock with the AM radio still in the dash. It is not as convenient as having a stereo easily accessible in the dash but my setup does everything I need it to do.

For me, the aftermarket retro stereos were too expensive for the quality of sound. I could get a better quality stereo fairly cheap.

Glen do you have the info on the dash and kick panel speakers. Also did you modify your kick panels or buy them with the speaker cut outs?

I bought the kick panels molded to accept a 6" round speaker. The problem with having the speakers that low in my opinion is they just don't sound good. I opted to buy the component 6" speakers and put the tweeters in under the dash. I had to modify the brackets but it worked out awesome. There is plenty of room on top of the glove compartment so I used Velcro to attach the filters for the component speakers there. You can get components from $50 up to $200. My son bought me mine and they are a middle of the road brand called Atlas Hifonics. And they will clear your E- brake. As far as the kick panels I bought them from OPGI. They cost a fortune but after the way the previous owner hacked up the originals I had no choice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifonics-ATL5-25C-Atlas-Car-Speakers-Set-of-2-/201482885427?hash=item2ee950d933:g:1FMAAOSwnipWaobE

• Like 1

Thanks to all that replied.  

I'm liking the one Jared posted about.  I want the original look.  I see that there are 2 companies manufacturing what may be the same radio.  Vintage Automobile Radio and Antique Auto Radio.

Dan

R & B vintage auto radio is where I sent mine. They have a great website which shows the various radios in operation. Based in TN the guy takes your existing radio and upgrades it with usb, Bluetooth, pre-amp outputs, and aux inputs. Additionally he can covert an AM radio to an AM/FM radio without changing the original appearance. I sent one to him a week or so ago, cannot wait to get it back. A quick google search will bring the site up.

I am replacing a USA-6 unit from Custom Autosound which has been problematic right out of the box. I wouldn't recommend one of those to my worst enemy.