Strange SS Documentation

iceman

I'm replacing my glass in the SS this winter and found something interesting on my passenger door. Near the top of the frame on the inside it is stamped with Z20! This really surprised me since the doors for an SS car certainly aren't different from a non-SS car.

How many of you SS owners/restorers have found this?

Iceman,

I don't recall seeing the Z20 stamp on my passenger door when I had the panels off a few years back. Thought I might have taken some pictures of that work but can't seem to locate them. Are you replacing the quarter windows too?

Mark

Ice - Greg would love to know more on where this stamping was - he'd love to take a look in the spring to check out mine....details, please!

Happy New Year!

Quote:
First off Happy New Year. My question is I need to know if you can get the weather strip for the quarter glass and the roof edge. Mine are cracked

My1stmonte....

If you are talking about the vertical seal near the sail panels at the back of the quarter glass, this is the one that isnt available. Your best bet is to check with Leo Konik This is where I got mine from.

Capri,

The stamp was on the upper part of the door near the center ... just about the location for the pull strap on the door panel. Behind the Z20 there was also an 857 stamped but I can't figure this one out. I'll try to post pics soon.

not so sure on the markings but i will take a look , could be a random part id , i dont think they marked ss doors from other doors just doesent seem feasible to the production process , i will take a look at some of the doors i have and ss cars , i have seen alphanumerical marking on a lot of body panels , and have found no tie to rpo numbers

Leo

Kat,

I got the glass from Auto City Classic in Minnesota. You can get the glass with all of the correct markings and date codes if you want.

Never heard of that marking. That sounds interesting. smile

Oh I didn't know you could get Monte Carlo 1/4 windows new, that is good to know. Now I don't feel guilty of letting several sets go to the crusher in corpses left of cars I stripped. eek

Behind the Z20 there was also an 857 stamped but I can't figure this one out. I'll try to post pics soon.

Stan,

I was wondering if it is possible there was a number 3 before the 857. If so it could be part of the body tag decoding numbers:

2nd and 3rd Digits Series 38 Monte Carlo

4th and 5 Digits Body Style 57 2-dr hardtop coupe

Just a thought.

Rob

First off Happy New Year. My question is I need to know if you can get the weather strip for the quarter glass and the roof edge. Mine are cracked.

my1st monte,

first off, welcome to the FGMCC website, glad to have you a board the boards and hope you will consider joining the club and come to the Eastern Meet near Greensburg in June. Where in Western Pa are you located. Pittsburgh here. We have Mike in New Castle and Scott near Kittanning

rob

Rob, I thought about that but I can't see the 3 before the 857. I have the build sequence sheet from the flint plant (basically an inventory sheet for the interior) but I haven't checked to see if that number matches anything there.

• 7 months later...