I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

we dont know if its junk or not yet but where it was sandblasted down thru the bondo is about a 1/2 inch thick we dunno why they used it on the fender yet. alex couldnt feel any dents... easiest way for us to strip that fender is going to be rolling it outside and taking the die grinder and a couple 3M paint/rust stripping pads to it....... i should be down there saturday atleast gonna talk to alex about my engine block tonight. and if he got the welder or if we need to get mines tank filled up before saturday im gonna work on the trunk area atleast.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fyi

stainless brake lines are installed from the distribution block back. the rest will be done friday and saturday. then the trans lines will be installed. i still have not received the rest of the lines in yet but i should probably get them by friday or so "we will see" the body mount bolts have some issues: two broke off and a two spin so far. the two that spin i can get to without cutting any metal. the other one i will need to cut in order to get them out.

i have the patch panels for the sail area cut off the donor car and will have those there friday night.

oh voo i found a real quick way of taking off the drip rail it is cool... will tell ya later....

alex

ohh i will pick up the welder tonight and bring it down friday night. along with my rotozip for finishing off the areaswe cut to make them straight.

*** UPDATE ***

I am still questing for patch panels for the rear quarters. Very little luck so far... and Leo has yet to get back to me on wether or not he has any.

I have begun to look at just buying a whole new driver's side (or both... do we need both?) rear quarter. It's damn pricey... if we cannot work with what we've got is it possible to use the "skins" I'm seeing advertised?

yep we can use the skins available from paddock. thats what im gonna use on my car i think depends on when alex starts on his 72.another possiblity is to fabricate the sections outta steel (1.99$) a sheet from the local menards but to do so we would have to order some body dollys. from somewhere like harborfreight..

if we just fabricate the sections we can get a body dolly kit for 29.99 from harbor freight and to save on shipping you could just swing over to indianapolis to thier store and pick it up. basically for patching it that way it would basically cost the price of welding wire,the body dolleys and a couple sheets of steel from menards so prally 50 bucks or so all together.

Damn, is that all!?

And we could fabricate all that we need to pretty much make the rear fender's all steel again?

Have you guys banged metal before? Cause I'd kinda think it'd be hard to get the right shape... wouldn't it?

And I thought Alex said we needed more than just skins because of the damage inside the wheel wells...

that would be correct billie,

the drop down sections of the trunk area are sold by goodmark industries G118LHRH year ones part number for the set @$164.00 "same as chevelle" and the outer rear wheel house for the pass. side "which can be made to patch that area in the rear. I have not done alot of metal work with steel so just to let you know. i have only worked with aluminum for aircraft. just fyi

alex

the steel i have done unforunately to fix the inside we would have to take that quarter completely off. and the chevelle panels require a ton of work to use...its possible to do the inside repair but in the time frame we have with woodward coming up its not real feasible to fix the inside section at this time.

the steel i have done unforunately to fix the inside we would have to take that quarter completely off. and the chevelle panels require a ton of work to use...its possible to do the inside repair but in the time frame we have with woodward coming up its not real feasible to fix the inside section at this time.

Allrighty... so should i or shouldn't I order what? I have recieved a few donations from club members as well as a few bucks for my birthday... So tell me what you guys feel is best. If we want to order some parts, tell me what specifically we need and I'll go find it.

I want this thing to look good, but I don't want bondo wear in two years. The more metal we put in her, the better I feel at this point.

your looking at close to 80 bucks before shipping for the outer wheelhouse for the passenger side. and 189.95 for the passenger side quarter skin. which has to be shipped truck freight.from paddock and prally close to a month in added time.

your looking at close to 80 bucks before shipping for the outer wheelhouse for the passenger side. and 189.95 for the passenger side quarter skin. which has to be shipped truck freight.from paddock and prally close to a month in added time.

I just called Paddock. $74.95 for the wheel house and $189.95 a side for the quarters. I'm just gonna order em boys, I think I may drive down and pick em up instead of paying the $100 shipping though...

Before I order them, confirm this for me:

• We need the passenger side outer wheel well for a chevelle (they dont have Monte's)
  • We need a Quarter skin for the passenger side
  • We need a Quarter skin for the Driver's Side

Is that correct?

Ok, the parts have been ordered from Paddock. $482.14 without shipping... We'll be picking them up on Friday and most likely driving them out to you guys Friday night or Saturday morning. I'll just drop them at John's, that should be OK??

I kinda like the front fenders welded like that... made it look cleaner and gave me a conversation piece with the car. If we can put em back like that it would be preferred. Did we take those off allready? cool

I'll be seeing you guys on Saturday!

its still there. we should be there at johns friday night after 5... i dunno if charlie will be but i know alex is going so ima prally get a ride with him and try and get the patches for the trunk made.what are your plans for the old quarters?? i will give ya some money for em if you want.

its still there. we should be there at johns friday night after 5... i dunno if charlie will be but i know alex is going so ima prally get a ride with him and try and get the patches for the trunk made.

Have I told you guys how much I love you yet?

And I there's a cruise I wanted to hit in Early June... is it even a possibility for us to have her ready by then?

billie you also need the drop down section for the passenger side "what ataches the quarter to the trunk area"

alex

Alex, could you call paddock at (800) 428-4319

and explain that to them... the guy on the phone with me has no clue what I want... so if you can find out the part #, I'll order it.

part number is

CH209 RH "YOU NEED THIS ONE" but if you want to get both then thats up to you i am not sure if the other one will crumble when seperating the skins so dunno

CH209 LH

do we need one, or both? Because I allready ordered the passenger side one from Paddock... I figured we could wait and see if we needed the other one before I popped $65+ for it.