I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I'm heading out now. About to begin my cruise over to Illinois.

Alex, Charlie, myself, and whoever else shows up are going to spend some time tinkering on the car. (or atleast I will)

Stay tuned, I'll post some pictures on here tonight...

Hey Bille, Charles, Charlie & Alex (& anyone else?),

Hope ya'll had a great time! Sorry I wasn't down there to see you all (Charles, Charlie & Alex) again and meet you (Billie). One of these days, I'm sure.

But, as you all know, we had some beautiful weather in Illinois this weekend and I just had to take advantage of it! Thus, the older 4 MCs made their 2004 debut...and the '87 LS received a well-deserved bath wink .

Lookin' forward to seeing those pix,

Cort, "Mr Road Trip"/"The Uniter", 30swm w/pig valve & pacemaker

"Mr MC"'s Family...& train & models = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

K's BL = http://forums.demonsoftware.com/index.php?showforum=15

Spotting MCs = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/

Well, KnightFan... we enjoyed the weather ourselves! What a georgeous day to work on a Monte! I arrived at the garage at about 1 o'clock, and Alex and I began immediatly.

We took a pretty laid back approach today, but still got a lot done. We started by pulling the rear window out (which turns out to be a lot harder than one would think...) Our wire kept breaking as we tried to slice through the window gasket, so we ended up prying it up ever-so-carefully with a few prybars.

RearWindow.jpg

After we got that taken care of, Alex showed me how to weild the sander, and off I went to see what was underneath the paint on the passenger door. Unfortunatly, we found a TON of body filler on the entire passenger side... but it appears the job was done quite well. So it will hopefully not be too big a problem. (See all the "White" in the pics, body filler)

Also, it turns out the rot around the Rear tire-wells is worse than first expected. I'm gonna need a patch panel or two to take care of these problems. And although it isn't shown in the picture, the front part of the passenger rear well is in pretty bad shape.

PassengerQuarter.jpg

The Driver's side is a little better than the passenger's:

DriverQuarter.jpg

While I was happily sanding away on my door, John (who owns the garage we are working in) came out and singlehandedly stripped the paint off the entire driver's side using only a RAZOR BLADE! I was impressed. The car was blue, I go to work on my door, come back over to the other side a few minutes later and the car is suddenly a smooth primer-brown! It was really amazing! Of course, we'll still have to sand down that primer... but wow!

Then it was time for some brake-work. We installed my brand new Rotors and Pads, which was a first for me! So I learned something usefull today. :P When we pulled the believed-to-be-original rotors off the car... it was amazing the Monte had even been able to stop! There was a quarter-inch groove ground into the driver's side rotor! [and yes, this was damage, it was in addition to the nice smooth "cooling groove" that each rotor had been originally manufactured with]

After we got the brakes fixed up a little, Alex helped me pull the rear bumper off and he began to remove some of the smaller trim items that were still on the car.

So basically, we had quite a productive day! Before I knew it, it was 8pm and I still had a 2 hour drive to get home! Time sure does fly when you're having fun! coolcoolcool

I really appreciate your help guys, and a special thanks to Alex for his gentle kindness towards a dumbstruck tinkerer who was in WAY over his head this afternoon. wink

The progress is comng along nicely, I almost didn't recognize "Molly" when I saw her... no top, very little paint, no trunk or hood... and the rear seat removed... Things are coming along nicely!

I'd like to once more express my thanks to Alex, Charles, Charlie, and John for all they are doing for me! I'd be in a world of hurt if it wasn't for this club.

Oh! I almost forgot the wackiest thing we found today! Charles noticed that right at the bottom of the front fenders... where they join the rocker-panel area... they are actually WELDED to the rocker panel area! Bolted and Welded to be precise. The seam is completely gone! It looks pretty good, but I guess we wont be pulling the fenders off to have them dipped. :rolleyes: Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I'll be sure to get a picture next time I remember!!

no problem at all billie gives me practice for my car and definately for charles since his is a work in progress to lol. And john is a master of weilding the razor blade and a force to be reckoned with. just imagine taking your car to a car show looking great with a new paintjob then leaving and coming back to it being in all primer laughconfused wouldnt that just perplex you lol.

yep it was a very productive day and a beautiful day out at 84 degrees. I also got the gas tank i have been working on almost done. One more round of wet sanding then clear coat and done. When i got home alicia thought i got my butt kicked or something "paint dust all over me and over my right eye." charlie will sand blast some stuff down for us "mainly the trunk area and the back of the car by the rear bumper. the fun stuff will be next weekend .... seperating te other hood for the cage for his hood.

I am planing on being down there saturday to finish off the gas tank and sanding the rest of the roof of billies car.

well keep yall posted

alex

Billie,

Sounds like it was a fun and productive afternoon/evening for ya'll. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Next weekend, again, eh? Hmmm...let's see what the weather does this coming weekend smile .

Billie,

Sounds like it was a fun and productive afternoon/evening for ya'll. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Next weekend, again, eh? Hmmm...let's see what the weather does this coming weekend smile .

My coming weekend is still messy. I don't know if I will be able to clear it all out and head on out for a day. I'll keep you guys posted on my schedule. But Alex says he'll be there, if you can make it. And he should have some of the beer left, they barely nicked it before I left on Saturday night.

Hehe, it is Pabst though... sorry guys, there's a long story behind that one... but lets just say it's because I've put all my money in the car at this point. laugh

Heh, Billie...now wouldn't that be ironic if I am able to drive down next weekend...and you aren't able to...LOL!

But, uh, the other guys can have the beer...I can't have any, unfortunately frown .

well that ok cort i will get drunk for ya lol

Oh billie i have some more pics for ya coming your way "the after shots of the sandblasting of the rear and front sections around the vinyl top pins and side channels.

charles used up 1000 lbs of sand blast sand on his project "the camaro" and some on the monte... we recovered 8 bags from the 20 used ouch ...

alex

Oh billie i have some more pics for ya coming your way "the after shots of the sandblasting of the rear and front sections around the vinyl top pins and side channels.

charles used up 1000 lbs of sand blast sand on his project "the camaro" and some on the monte... we recovered 8 bags from the 20 used ouch ...

And here they are, folks... for everyone to see!

Here's the Front of the Monte after some sandblasting:

Front.jpg

And then, some varying angles on the car...

sandblasted.jpg

And last but not least, it appears the sandblasting discovered a small little rust problem on the Rear Window Frame:

WindowLip.jpg

update,

Apparently the front fenders where brazed or simply tack welded on and possibly be cut loose from the body.

The driver's side fender is now bare metal and we only have about a 1/4 of the roof left to strip.

passenger side is almost done except for the lower portion of the rocker area. the trans and brake lines are in and down at the shop. "not installed yet" I will not be able to work on it again till saturday since i have to take care of some stuff at home. will keep ya updated

fred,

give me a call when ya get a chance to confirm if ya heading down this weekend

thanks

alex

Well, I will not be able to make it down this weekend (24 - 25 APR 04). There is the slightest of chances I may have Sunday free, but I wont know until Saturday afternoon.

So I guess I wont be there guys cry

On a plus note, I asked for my birthday gifts in cash this year... so I can put em into "Molly".

So the budget has increased a little bit, let me know if we need anything. I'm still looking for patch panels on the rear's rust problems... I'm thinking we may have to fabricate em.

Also, I was a thought: I'm thinking we do something to rustproof the underside after we get the work done down there. What do you guys suggest? I know I can buy the stuff in aerosol cans and just spray it down there, does that stuff work OK? or should I get some POR-15 to put down there?

Can whoever next goes over to John's do me a favor? There's a spare manifold in the trunk... the guy sold it to me with the car.

I think it's date stamped for a 72... but I'm not sure. Anyway, my question is could one of you look at that and let me know if that is indeed a four barrel? I think it is, in which case my buddy says he can get me a 4 barrel carb pretty cheap. And I know that the four barrel was an option on the 1970, and added 50hp.

So if one of you guys could just check and make sure that manifold is indeed a four barrel, and is in decent shape... I may look at getting a new carb. What specs should I tell him I'd need though?

((btw, I'm just looking into it now... I don't know if we will do this... but another 50hp would be nice)

Billie,

It seems as if we both have the same weekend not free for joining Alex, Charles & Charlie...LOL!

Ah, well...no worries smile . One of these days....lol.

well shoot Charles and I were just down there. I won't be back down there till Saturday. Alex, Charles, and I will be there. I have to attend to the camaro project for the majority of the day but i have obtained a sander that will greatly speed up the process.

remember billie not all carbs are the same "the intake is a spreadbore quadrajet" if you get an aftermarket carb make sure it goes on a spread bore not a square bore otherwise you will need to get an adapterplate as well which is more money.

alex

remember billie not all carbs are the same "the intake is a spreadbore quadrajet" if you get an aftermarket carb make sure it goes on a spread bore not a square bore otherwise you will need to get an adapterplate as well which is more money.

alex

OK, can someone see what the OEM is on my Carb? I found a place that can actually give me the correct 4 barrel for the 1970 monte for like $120, but they want the OEM from my stock one so they gaurantee I'm getting the matching unit.

billie what place is this your going through "most likely they want it as a core" yours is the non electronic 4 bbl quadrajet it was made by rochester but holly bought them out a while back. post up what exactly they are asking for. and i will see what i can do.

alex

billie what place is this your going through "most likely they want it as a core" yours is the non electronic 4 bbl quadrajet it was made by rochester but holly bought them out a while back. post up what exactly they are asking for. and i will see what i can do.

Well, I made a phonecall to CarburetorsDirect.com and he wanted to know the precise OEM number from my stock carb. I gave him one I read off someone's post in the tech forum who had a 1970 2-barrel and he found one that fit. But he wants to know my car's precise number before he sends it out, so we know it's the precise one... or something.

Anyway, here's the e-mail he sent me... seems like a good deal, what do you think?

Quote:
Hello Sir,

I spoke with you today on the phone regarding the carburetor you are looking

for. We can most certainly help you! Our

part # that you need is CD43430. I cross-referenced the number you provided

to determine this is the exact carb or suitable replacement carb that you

need.

This carburetor would be remanufactured by hand by our ASE Certified

Technicians to industry new condition, using the original casing only and

all brand new parts. It will also be live engine tested before it goes out

to you to ensure top quality and peak performance.

Furthermore, your remanufactured carburetor will be covered by our Lifetime

Service Guarantee, which you will not find anywhere else!

Our completely remanufactured carburetors feature:

- New Bolts

- New Float

- New Choke Coil

- New Choke Pull-Off

- Full Re-Building Kit

- Re-Machined Throttle Shaft Plates

- New Computer Controlled Parts

- Superior Ten Step Cleaning Process

- Chrome-Polished Casings (All Casings)

- Live Engine Testing

The price for this carburetor will run only $169.95 with a $50 Core Deposit.

ok its a factory replacement carb so there should be no install issues then. i do not have an original carb to reference numbers off of but call leo or see who else might have the casting numbers and serial numbers "most likely this is what you need"

its a better deal thn what i have seen so go for it "remember you will need a new intake manifold gasket and distributor gasket as well"

alex

Charles gave me a call last night and told me that basically the driver's rear quarter is crap...

Apparently it's got a ton more bondo than we'd like... So should I just try and find some whole new quarters? About how much is that going to cost me?

Or how bad is it? Can somebody lemme know some more info on it? I was in the middle of WWIII with my roommate who is stiffing me on the bills, so I couldn't talk to him too much last night.

Also, it looks like I will be coming out there this weekend if you guys are going to have time to work on her with me. What day works best for you guys? And who else will be able to come down and join!? (If anybody...)