Shock Color

Capri's 71 SS

So....to all the SS Experts out there in FGMCC Land.......

What is the original color of the rear air shocks???

Grey? Rust/Copper? Anyone know the paint color code?

Thanks!!

Guest Wolfman28

First, let me apologize for being away so long. I didnt relaize my membership had expired sleep I am doing some work on the SS and the shock color is a good question. I recall seeing a photo posted on the site some where and the Air shocks were a much lighter gray (Dove Gray) I believe. Any help on this would be appreciated. The SS on ebay does raise some questions on certian items. I thought Rally wheels were Satin Black on the inside? any one have input on this? I am repainting mine this weekend along with the shocks.

Steve

As far as I know the gray on those shocks looks correct and that's the color I have used in the past. There are a lot of company's that sell the "shock gray" so it should be easy enough to find.

For the inside of the rims, I always thought they were painted a similar color gray on the inside (as the shocks) and the outside was sprayed the more aluminum color with the overspray coming through the holes in the rim. I always have masked the rim off to avoid the over spray because I like the look better.

My 2 cents,

Steve

Hi guys,

I have to say first that I was not alive when these cars were built, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of seeing what was correct on original cars. But, I did a lot of research on the rally wheel color when I did some detailing on a '70 SS I had a few years ago. I'm 99.999% certain that the back of the rim should be black on our rally wheels from the factory, with argent silver overspray because the front of the wheels were painted after the back. The '70 chevelle 5 spoke SS wheels were definitely gray and I think some of the 14" rally versions were also gray on the back too. Just my input-

Jeff

My original, never painted rally wheel spare tire is just like the photo above, gray on the back and a silvery green argent color on the front, with overspray.

Guest Wolfman28

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe one day we will find a unmolested low mileage SS to use as a benchmark for restorations. Every little piece of information makes all our cars better.

Steve

there may also be more than 1 correct color , i have seen load pumps black phosphate and anodized gold , never really tried to figure out why , i worked 25 plus years in the auto industry , we changed suppliers and processes thru the builds and what was built on monday could be changed by friday , i have a nos pair of 67-69 camaro air shocks and they are gloss black and still in the box???? most original coil style gm shocks i have seen are dove grey

Leo

Guest 1971-MonteCarlo
My original, never painted rally wheel spare tire is just like the photo above, gray on the back and a silvery green argent color on the front, with overspray.

Guess that settles that!!

• 2 weeks later...

img0224vc0.jpg

A little late Capri and may just had some confusion. Mine are supposed to be NOS…Maybe not as they are Black in color. Part # is 22065058.

Vaughn