Crankcase Ventilation

201fireman

So I swapped my SBC to a 489 recently.  Right now it has two breathers in the valve covers with filter elements.  What direction have you guys gone for crankcase ventilation?  It is smoking a little from the breathers so I know I need to do something.

• 4 weeks later...

You can go 1 step further and run a 1/2" hose from the breather location and route it to the underside of the air filter housing (inside the filter ring). This way at full throttle, there is enough vacuum available inside the filter ring to draw away the fumes that would otherwise escape through the breather into the engine compartment. At slower engine speeds, the flow reverses, and filtered air is supplied from the air cleaner, then travels through the crankcase to the PCV valve side.

I found a neat "breather looking" item from summit that has a PCV valve inside. Looks like the fancy breathers, but with a tube coming out the side that leads to the base of the carb.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Mark!  I just saw this. I will look around on Summit and see if I can find what you mentioned for the driver's side. I will have to run it to manifold vacuum but that should be the same thing.  Then I will get a breather to run to the underside of the air cleaner.  I am not sure if my K&N Extreme air cleaner has the port underneath for it but I will check.  I appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I am planning on doing the PCV valve on driver's side and breather on passenger's side.  I did some reading and just for the sake of learning here, will I benefit from a catch can instead if the PCV, along with the PCV, or am I wasting my time if I add that?  I am just trying to learn here and on the surface, it seems like maybe the catch can and PCV valve do the same thing almost?

23 minutes ago, 201fireman said:

I am just trying to learn here and on the surface, it seems like maybe the catch can and PCV valve do the same thing almost?

I put a catch can on both my ZR1 & CTS-V, but those are both forced induction applications, with a bunch of horsepower. All the catch can does is help remove the entrained oil from the PCV system so it doesn't end up in your intake stream/combustion chamber. You'd still want the PCV system, whether you put a catch can in there is optional.

I didn't put one on my Monte with a LS-6 454 big block, just the plain old PCV valve on the driver side, breather on the passenger side. That's just my take on it, sure there are plenty of more informed options out there.

That's a whole another ball game... It took me an hour to find one that would work with my basically stock LS-6. Part numbers were conflicting, no vacuum values to speak of, etc. I ended up on chevelle & camaro forums too, based on google searches, with some good info there. I ended up finding some GM ones on Amazon that were a match for what I needed. Came in a box of 10, lol. If you decide that part will work for you, let me know, I'll send you one.... I have a 'few' extra.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010G6FT30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's also info out there on how to see if you have a correct one by using a vacuum gauge, etc to make sure it's sized correctly, as well as adjustable PCV valves to tailor it to your specific needs. Either google it, or I'll see if I can find the stuff I saved at the time.

It can get mind numbing if you keep looking...

http://www.engineprofessional.com/articles/EPQ315_34-44.pdf

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/tunable-pcv-valve-fixes-cruise-woes-engine-leaks/

I have another project I am working on that has a big camshaft. I went with an adjustable PCV valve from M/E Wagner. Kinda pricey, but figured it would be the last one I'd ever need to buy. Some good reading on their site as well.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444