Original center caps on rally wheels.

Scott S.

I was at a local "old car" get together the other night and got talking to a '69 Z owner.

He commented that my center caps were reproductions because they didn't have the black bow tie logo on them.... 

I wasn't aware that only originals had the bow tie..... 
Is that true ??IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.94b3471713672464d9fe05a9783094af.jpg

Not......I still have the originals that came on my 1972....! Bought it in 1973 and still have it ....it sat for maybe 20 years w/o moving and I am sure there were no repos in 1973. No Bow Tie on mine. They look just like yours.

I am about as far as ya can get from an "original everything" sort of guy. Just never could be bothered chasing dated this and that...not to mention paying the prices resulting from the seller having the "Correct" air for the tires or whatever..  Worse maybe is the guys that cannot resist report what they see as being incorrect / repro / Chinese. It kinda takes some of the fun out of the hobby for me.

Had a 66 Corvette and bailed out of that hyper correctness rat race long ago.

The aftermarket ones have a 'bowtie" in the center. The plastic ones also. As stated above, the original center caps do not have the bowtie. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

The aftermarket ones have a 'bowtie" in the center. The plastic ones also. As stated above, the original center caps do not have the bowtie. 

ROFLMAO !!!

He said that the previous owner was a stickler for original part.... But no backstory on why an original "Z" has a 383 "stroker" engine in it. 

Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LS65Speed said:

Not......I still have the originals that came on my 1972....! Bought it in 1973 and still have it ....it sat for maybe 20 years w/o moving and I am sure there were no repos in 1973. No Bow Tie on mine. They look just like yours.

I am about as far as ya can get from an "original everything" sort of guy. Just never could be bothered chasing dated this and that...not to mention paying the prices resulting from the seller having the "Correct" air for the tires or whatever..  Worse maybe is the guys that cannot resist report what they see as being incorrect / repro / Chinese. It kinda takes some of the fun out of the hobby for me.

Had a 66 Corvette and bailed out of that hyper correctness rat race long ago.

I know how you feel.....

I bought Montelishi to have fun with and drive. It was funny to watch the "purest" crowd pack up and run at the first sign of rain clouds.

Now don’t go hammering on the purists. My 71 I did chase all the numbers and tried to get it as correct as possible. I really like the restoration process. My 88 Monte not a chance, gm zz4 crate etc. They can both get rained on, I won’t like it but I’m not going to run. There is a difference. 

• Like 3

I've had mine out all day doing a little maintenance and cleaning, going to a cruise in tonight dusted it all down and was doing some of the stainless steel with flitz and it started sprinkling so back in garage but it stopped so back out it comes and off to the cruise in 😊

9 hours ago, Scott S. said:

I was at a local "old car" get together the other night and got talking to a '69 Z owner.

He commented that my center caps were reproductions because they didn't have the black bow tie logo on them.... 

I wasn't aware that only originals had the bow tie..... 
Is that true ??IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.94b3471713672464d9fe05a9783094af.jpg

No, he was completely WRONG.  the ones you have look to be original with the Chevrolet Motor Division writing.  

rob

• Like 2

I had a set of the disc brake centers on my 72 that I put on my 72 before switching to the Ridler 675's that now reside on it. I found out later they were after market because the spelling of the word disc was disk. LOL LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1