Drive shaft strip colors

I found this in a Chevelle book I have. It seems to list Monte Carlo's too.

If I'm reading it right, for a 1970 Van Nuys, 350 4bbl with a TH350,  (L48 engine) it should be a white & purple stripe.

The 'Chevelle' site has a listing too, but doesn't have a Monte listed for that application.

http://chevellestuff.net/1970/misc/driveshaft.htm

Stripe Info:

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/drive_shaft_colors.htm

20230329_175009.jpg

20230329_175121.jpg

driveshaft stripes2 (1).pdf driveshaft stripes1 (1).pdf

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

1 hour ago, Michael Boyte said:

Not so sure Larry, I always thought the line inspectors each had a color to designate the part had passed their inspection.

That is not impossible for sure I have just never heard of that before. When I worked for Delco Remy of General Motors we did have marking mechanisms on our machines to show which ones had made the part, that way they could trace said part especially if it was defective

• Like 1

I believe they were added to help the assembly line worker know which shaft to grab.

box 19 on the build sheet prop shaft  ex:BY blue and Yellow usally two sometimes 3 3/4" stripes around the shaft.

I remember reading about this several years ago and put the strips on mine when I was rebuilding the 71. They went towards the rear and maybe one up front... but I can’t even recall where I seen it now... mine were green and orange... no car show ever looked because they didn’t know anything about it .. but I knew they were there...

• Like 1