Relay location

cbolt

Getting ready to permanently mount my e-fan relay and fuse and was wondering where others have placed their aftermarket relay's and other electrical add on things where they don't look like a shade tree mechanic installed them. You know, the fella with three remaining teeth and always wears coveralls without a t-shirt? 🤓

Kidding aside, I was thinking of slapping them on the inner fender well but to me it would look like, well, like an eyesore in the middle of all that plastic. I don't really want to drill holes in the fender lip or the firewall, but may go that route if I cannot figure something else out that looks halfway decent. Right now I am drawing a complete blank. 

Thanks in advance and as always, if you have pics that would help immensely. 

I tend to hide everything, don't like seeing stuff out in the open. If I have to make brackets, lengthen or shorten wire harnesses, etc. it gets done.

Without seeing what you have & how large it is, my first guess would possibly be on the core support, in the old voltage regulator spot. Another might be behind the headlight area in that opening of the fenderwell, or mounted on a bracket behind where the washer fluid bottle goes (backside of fender flange-hidden). Maybe on top of the fenderwell too, behind the fender. Behind the battery area would be another choice.

I mounted my brake vacuum pump on a vertical brace, between the firewall and driver side wheelwell. Access was from below, after removing that small splash shield.

Plenty of options, depends how hard you want to make it, & how bad you want to hide it..

• Like 3

Here's an example of that brake vacuum pump. Mounts on that diagonal brace under the fender, buried behind the hood hinge and brake booster area. Mounted on rubber isolators too. Can't even remember how many hours it took to test fit, fabricate, etc., but it took a lot of time. Naturally, this was needed after I put all the sheet metal back on, which made it that much harder. Even getting to the wiring bulkhead to power it up was harder. 

Just small example of how bad do you want to hide it, and how hard it's going to be to accomplish that goal. You'd never know it's there. In fact, the MSD ignition module is buried on the firewall in that general area too, hidden from view. That vacuum pump would be just in front of that MSD box.

20201027_210626.jpg

20201027_210638.jpg

20201027_210629.jpg

20200914_125414.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Here's an example of that brake vacuum pump. Mounts on that diagonal brace under the fender, buried behind the hood hinge and brake booster area. Mounted on rubber isolators too. Can't even remember how many hours it took to test fit, fabricate, etc., but it took a lot of time. Naturally, this was needed after I put all the sheet metal back on, which made it that much harder. Even getting to the wiring bulkhead to power it up was harder. 

Just small example of how bad do you want to hide it, and how hard it's going to be to accomplish that goal. You'd never know it's there. In fact, the MSD ignition module is buried on the firewall in that general area too, hidden from view. That vacuum pump would be just in front of that MSD box.

20200914_125414.jpg

That's where I mounted my PCM, except fastened to the firewall.

I have a fuse/relay box mounted to the core support where the voltage regulator used to be. Because it's black and has a cover it's hardly noticeable, but also within easy reach for repair or diagnostics. It's pulling power from the horn relay. I can grab some photos this weekend, it's a nice Delphi unit.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

That's where I mounted my PCM, except fastened to the firewall.

I mounted the ECM under the dash/cowl area above the HVAC box. Needed to fabricate some brackets & weld them to the body. This Holley unit is pretty large & I also wanted it protected from the heat of the engine compartment.

Dakota Digital dash module, Dakota/Holley EFI interface module, power lock module & various other electronics and modules got buried throughout the interior as well. Some were added after these pics.

Bottom pic is the MSD mount on the firewall.

20200108_211709.jpg

dash.jpg

IMG_0229.1.jpg

• Like 3

I put mine on the fender wall, I tossed a coin for hidden or trouble shooting access. 🤣 Yea I know alot of wire loom, but better than al the different colored wires no matter how nice you lace them in. 

Relays.jpeg

• Like 1

I added speed control to my 71, and since it is attached to my plastic fender, it didn't work.

I added an extra wire to the firewall, for a ground, and all is well.

In your case, I have no idea but thought I would mention it.